IMP for the C-128

j...@garfield.uucp

Oct 20, 1986, 2:44:03 PM10/20/86
<Be-ware the Line Mangler>
I just started using the IMP terminal program on the commodore 128. I set
the term to be adm31 and everything works fine except......
i) whenever there is a reverse video line (like when you more filename),
all I get is graphic characters.
ii) within vi when I insert into a line, it seems to overwrite the line.
escape after insert does seem to change matters. does not seem to
work either.

That is all I found so far. Am I using the most suited termcap entry? Has
anyone else had the same problems and/or fixed them? Please post. Also if
anyone has the description (with escape sequence codes) for the adm31, I
would appreciate it if you would post it or mail it to me.

Thank you.
J.(Jay) Kumarasingam
UUCP: {akgua,allegra,cbosgd,ihnp4,seismo,utcsri}!garfield!jay
CDNNET: j...@garfield.mun.cdn
--
The opinions expressed here shall be voided in the morning.

Chris Gordon

Oct 26, 1986, 2:29:58 AM10/26/86
I think this is useful enough to enough people to make it worth posting.

In article <28...@garfield.UUCP> j...@garfield.UUCP (Jay Kumarasingam) writes:
>I just started using the IMP terminal program on the commodore 128. I set
>the term to be adm31 and everything works fine except......
> i) whenever there is a reverse video line (like when you more filename),
> all I get is graphic characters.

Don't use adm31, the code for reverse video (or standout) is different for the
C128 - use oadm31 (old adm31) if you have it on your system. If you don't, you
could always make your own termcap entry and change the :so=\EG1: to :so=\EG4:

> ii) within vi when I insert into a line, it seems to overwrite the line.
> escape after insert does seem to change matters. does not seem to
> work either.

This is because the insert start/end codes given in the termcap entry do NOT
work on the 128. I think you're best bet would be to make up your own
termcap entry. If you would like some help, here's a termcap entry I use
(although until I get my NEWSYS installed, I can't really test it out but I
*know* the codes work on CP/M 3.0 on the 128 - I have tried them.) :

setterm adm31
setenv TERMCAP "l1|adm31|31:is=\Eu\E0:cr=^M:do=^J:nl=^J:bl=^G:al=\EE:am:le=^H:bs:ce=\ET:cm=\E=%+\040%+\040:cl=\E*:cd=\EY:co#80:dc=\EW:dl=\ER:ho=^^:kd=^J:kl=^H:kr=^L:ku=^K:li#24:mi:nd=^L:se=\EG0:so=\EG4:up=^K:"

(I just set up a file and 'source' it (from csh))

>That is all I found so far. Am I using the most suited termcap entry? Has
>anyone else had the same problems and/or fixed them? Please post. Also if
>anyone has the description (with escape sequence codes) for the adm31, I
>would appreciate it if you would post it or mail it to me.

Here are some I know (taken and modified from the termcap entry) :

Escape codes for C128's CP/M emulating ADM31. '#' represents a number. 'ESC' is
the ESCAPE code (ASCII 27). SPC is ASCII 32.

ESC E insert line
ESC R delete line
ESC W delete character
ESC * clear entire display (same as ^Z)
ESC Y clear to end of display (same as ESC y)
ESC T clear to end of line (same as ESC t)
ESC G 4 start standout
ESC G 0 end standout
ESC = # # move cursor to (#-32, #-32)
^^ home cursor (how to type this from the keyboard I don't know -
could always use "ESC = SPC SPC")
^K up one line
^L right one charactrer
^H left
^J down

I hope this helps.

...Chris

Chris Gordon UUCP: {abunchasystems}!watmath!watnot!cagordon
U of Waterloo, Ont CompuServe: Don't know yet
"...Life...in the fast lane... (AND bits of egg!)"

Gregory Woodbury

Nov 1, 1986, 3:10:29 AM11/1/86
In article <28...@garfield.UUCP> j...@garfield.UUCP (Jay Kumarasingam) writes:
>... I set

>the term to be adm31 and everything works fine except......
> i) whenever there is a reverse video line, all I get is graphic characters.

> ii) within vi when I insert into a line, it seems to overwrite the line.
>
>termcap entry? Has anyone else had the same problems and fixed them?
>Please post.

I have indeed been biten by the same bug several time, and have written a
termcap and a terminfo for the 128. The main problem is that the C-128 isn't
really an adm-341 emulator as much as a Kaypro emulator. The <ESC>G#
codes are different, which causes the alt char set to be used instead of
inverse video. Here is the termcap that I am using on SysV.2 UNIX's:
---------------cut here--------------
c128|c128.mex|cpm128|commodore-128 cp/m+:\
:co#80:li#24:am:cl=\E*:bs:\
:cm=\E=%+ %+ :nd=\014:up=\013:ce=\ET:cd=\EY:\
:al=\EE:dl=\ER:im=:ei=:ic=\EQ:mi:dm=:ed=:dc=\EW:\
:so=\EG4:se=\EG0:us=\EG3:ue=\EG0:
Its not absolutely complete, but its better than trying to use the ADM-31
and going blind. The terminfo (available on request) is more complete and
based on a look at the terminal emulation sources in the CBM release.
Gregory G. Woodbury The usual disclaimers apply
Red Wolfe Software and Services, Durham, NC
{duke|mcnc|rti-sel}!ethos!ggw