Using NTSC computers Down Under??

Warren Long

Mar 27, 1986, 11:52:35 AM3/27/86
<line eater>

I have a friend who is going to Australia for his sabbatical. He will
be taking a Macintosh with him. Since the Macintosh has a built-in
monitor, and the power requirements are '120v, 50-60Hz', I assume that
he will be able to use the machine down under, if he uses a transformer.
The Macintosh should work with the 50 cycles. Am I correct???

Part 2:

He also an Atari 800 which he will also be taking. The problem is much
trickier:

Using a TV:

-if he takes a standard colour TV, it will not work as a
TV cuz the broadcast companies use a different format.
PAL, I think, but different from Britain.
-it probably won't work as monitor for the computer using
the RF output, cuz the TV is designed to work on 60Hz,
not at 50Hz.
-if he buys an Australian TV it will most defineately not
accept the RF signal from the Atari.
-I assume that if he takes a TV from here, that is capable
of using batteries, ie converts the AC to DC before using
it in any way, he should have no problems. The TV however
will still be useless as a reciever of TV broadcasts.

Using a monitor:

-if he takes a monitor(eg. green screen) and drives it with
the direct video signal, but has to plug it into 50Hz, will
it work??
-if he buys a monitor in Australia, will it work with the
signals that the Atari 800 puts out??
-is there an analog to the 'battery-driven' TV for monitors??

I am interested in any and all replies, comments, suggestions,

Thank you,

Warren Long
University of Saskatchewan
Canada