What's Nu for VME.....

C.HUDSON

Oct 28, 1986, 12:47:26 PM10/28/86

>From: jo...@gould9.UUCP (Joel West)
>Newsgroups: net.micro.mac,net.micro.68k
>Subject: What's Nu with VME for Mac?

>I know the Sun-3 is VME; aren't most of the other 680xx boxes
>also VME? To my knowledge, only LMI (Symbolics?) and TI use Nu.

The VME bus standard was designed by Signetics, Motorola, and Mostek.
It follows that Motorola designs its 680** series to work well with
the VME and would encourage the use of the VME. It seems very unlikely
that a 680** box manufacturer would use anything but a VME bus. I'll
stick my neck out and state "All 680** box-makers use the VME bus."
(Anybody out there have a counterexample?)

>Would anyone care to comment on the technical advantages to using
>either bus? From a marketing standpoint, I would think VME would
>offer a strong advantage.

I don't know much about the NuBus. I know however, in the past, TI
has designed busses which were not intended as general purpose, but
were designed for the 9900 product family (e.g. T-Bus, E-Bus).
Microprocessor-specific busses do not have much of a market advantage
unless the microprocessor supported is a technical marvel.

The VME bus provides a serial packet bus which operates autonomously of
the main parallel bus. This feature provides a standard interprocessor
communications channel, which facilitates distributed system/ multi-
processing environments.

Cathy Hudson ......ihnp4!hounx!hudson

jimo...@lsuc.uucp

Oct 29, 1986, 12:19:14 AM10/29/86
In article <9...@hounx.UUCP> hud...@hounx.UUCP (C.HUDSON) writes:

>the VME and would encourage the use of the VME. It seems very unlikely
>that a 680** box manufacturer would use anything but a VME bus. I'll
>stick my neck out and state "All 680** box-makers use the VME bus."
>(Anybody out there have a counterexample?)

The Perkin-Elmer 68K boxes use VersaBUS. The NCR Tower uses MultiBUS.
Many boxes have no bus at all or vestigial buses (low end Alpha Micro).
The New Frank Hogg QT-20X has a proprietary bus. The SS-50 bus is used
by GIMIX. The SS-64 bus was used by Helix. I think Altos uses something
different, but I'm not sure what.

Your close enough though. Most good 68K boxes are VME. Still, I'm
buying the Frank Hogg QT-20X. The prices is *much* better.

--
James Omura, Barrister & Solicitor, Toronto
ihnp4!utzoo!lsuc!jimomura

Lawrence W. McVoy

Oct 29, 1986, 12:11:13 PM10/29/86
In article <9...@hounx.UUCP> hud...@hounx.UUCP (C.HUDSON) writes:
>It follows that Motorola designs its 680** series to work well with
>the VME and would encourage the use of the VME. It seems very unlikely
>that a 680** box manufacturer would use anything but a VME bus. I'll
>stick my neck out and state "All 680** box-makers use the VME bus."

I love when somebody makes a blanket statement like this :-)

Masscomp uses the multibus in their 68010 machines. I think they also use
it in their 68020 machines.

Note: I'm not saying it's a good or a bad idea,
I just be relaten da facts, jack.
--
Larry McVoy mc...@rsch.wisc.edu,
{seismo, topaz, harvard, ihnp4, etc}!uwvax!mcvoy

"They're coming soon! Quad-stated guru-gates!"

Jeff Lee

Oct 29, 1986, 12:56:24 PM10/29/86
Who (or what organization) should I contact in order to obtain A VMEbus
definition?
--
Jeff Lee
CSNet: Jeff @ GATech ARPA: Jeff%GATech.CSNet @ CSNet-Relay.ARPA

Mark Campbell

Oct 29, 1986, 3:18:10 PM10/29/86
In article <9...@hounx.UUCP> hud...@hounx.UUCP (C.HUDSON) writes:
>>I know the Sun-3 is VME; aren't most of the other 680xx boxes
>>also VME? To my knowledge, only LMI (Symbolics?) and TI use Nu.
>
>The VME bus standard was designed by Signetics, Motorola, and Mostek.
>It follows that Motorola designs its 680** series to work well with
>the VME and would encourage the use of the VME. It seems very unlikely
>that a 680** box manufacturer would use anything but a VME bus. I'll
>stick my neck out and state "All 680** box-makers use the VME bus."
>(Anybody out there have a counterexample?)

The NCR Tower family (Tower 1632, Tower XP, MiniTower, MiniTower 32,
Tower 32) all use Motorola processors with Multibus I.
--

Mark Campbell Phone: (803)-791-6697 E-Mail: !ncsu!ncrcae!sauron!campbell

cle...@spectrix.uucp

Oct 30, 1986, 2:10:51 PM10/30/86
In article <28...@rsch.WISC.EDU> mc...@rsch.WISC.EDU (Lawrence W. McVoy) writes:
>In article <9...@hounx.UUCP> hud...@hounx.UUCP (C.HUDSON) writes:
>>It follows that Motorola designs its 680** series to work well with
>>the VME and would encourage the use of the VME. It seems very unlikely
>>that a 680** box manufacturer would use anything but a VME bus. I'll
>>stick my neck out and state "All 680** box-makers use the VME bus."
>
>I love when somebody makes a blanket statement like this :-)

So do I - a single Spectrix XL machine has the following "buses": Multibus,
Intel iLBX (actually, Multibus P2 connector), X-Bus (extension of 68020
pins), MX-bus (ribbon-cable), Intel iSBX bus and the FIFO. Not a VMEbus in
the lot! :-)
--
Chris Lewis
Spectrix Microsystems Inc,

Bob Amen

Oct 31, 1986, 4:29:21 PM10/31/86
In article <28...@rsch.WISC.EDU>, mc...@rsch.WISC.EDU (Lawrence W. McVoy) writes:
> In article <9...@hounx.UUCP> hud...@hounx.UUCP (C.HUDSON) writes:
> >It follows that Motorola designs its 680** series to work well with
> >the VME and [...]

> >I'll stick my neck out and state "All 680** box-makers use the VME bus."
>
> I love when somebody makes a blanket statement like this :-)
>
> Masscomp uses the multibus in their 68010 machines. I think they also use
> it in their 68020 machines.

And Masscomp is currently working on a VMEbus machine...all their newer
machines will be VMEbus...that is when they get it all working, including
a VME to Multibus card.

In fact there are several 68000 machines on the Multibus because it
was out there and controlers were available before the VMEbus was accepted
here (it was originally called the Eurobus with some differences).

> Larry McVoy mc...@rsch.wisc.edu,
> {seismo, topaz, harvard, ihnp4, etc}!uwvax!mcvoy

Bob Amen
Chesapeake Bay Institute/Johns Hopkins University

UUCP: seismo!-\
>umcp-cs!\
allegra!/ \
decvax!decuac!-----/