could you hear me scream ? (or: "why I hate users" :-)

Barry Shein

Oct 13, 1986, 3:19:43 PM10/13/86

From: wer...@ut-ngp.UUCP (Werner Uhrig)
>R>rep
> No such host as "ut-sally.UUCP", address ignored
>S>to sc...@utcs.toronto.edu
>?Unrecognized host name "utcs.toronto.edu"
>S>to scott@utcs
>?Unrecognized host name "utcs"
>S>to sc...@utcs.arpa
>?Unrecognized host name "utcs.arpa"
>S>to sc...@utcs.csnet

Werner,

I honestly don't understand. Ok, agreed, your MM needs some work or
you need a bigger host table on your 20 or you need a name server or
something. So what? This is a problem you are having with MM, why are
you bothering the rest of us with this, you might mail MRC to see
what's the latest and greatest for dealing with this. MM is freeware,
tho very good freeware (ie. you have to keep up with updates
yourself.)

Is the problem that the domain change made your copy of MM obsolete?
Why does this surprise you? Who is supposed to keep your system software
up to date? Why don't you tell him/her/it?

What a strange thing to post on net.mail, maybe try
TOP...@NIC.SRI.COM or whatever the address is and see who has a fix
to distribute.

Or are you just opposed to change and the way it tends to obsolete
software (consider the 9-digit zip-code...) If so, you're in the wrong
business (or are you just hoping one of us will come onto your machine
and fix this? I'm honestly confused.)

-Barry Shein, Boston University

I know, I'll get this long-winded response about the last N months of
discussion on this, but please keep replies to exactly what was said
in the note I am responding to.