WHAT HAPPENED

m...@psuecla.bitnet

Nov 3, 1986, 11:37:24 AM11/3/86

I thought that your postings were reasonably interesting, although I didn't
understand them fully (nor did I take the time to study them that closely
since I don't use Forth too much). They pointed out elegant solutions to
some problems that had occured to me when I was using Forth. The only other
complaint that I have about Forth (other than control structure bookkeeping
which you've managed to solve nicely) is the fact that all variables seem to
be global. Are there any solutions to this problem which won't kill execution
speed? Also, has anyone considered modifying the compiler so that it could
extensibly compile in expanded form (rather than threaded form) in order to
increase execution speed (i.e. trade off compactness for execution speed). I
have the beginnings of a program which does this for 8088 under MS-DOS but
it's on the back burner due to indecision on my part as to how to format
the architecture. Any suggestions ?

m...@psuecl.bitnet