APL on 4.2Bsd

Al Arthur

Feb 25, 1986, 8:45:47 PM2/25/86

I have a course involving an overview of several languages
including APL. I have installed the APL interpreter distributed
in the 4.1Bsd Unix source on my 4.2 Vax.

My Problem:
The documentation for the distribution is not very
informative. I am experiencing difficulty just getting
started with APL, as I don't know what a valid program
for the 4.1Bsd interpreter looks like.

Question1:
Does someone out there have a *simple* program, using
most of the usual syntax of the 4.1 interpreter? If so,
could you send me a copy?

Question2:
Could someone point me towards more complete documentation?

Question3:
I heard somewhere along the line, that there was a driver
for the gigi terminal, that would display the APL character set,
and work with the APL interpreter; is this true? I seem to
remember this floating around on the net; is it possible to
obtain it? How? Where?

Thank you for your time,
Al

UUCPaddress:...{allegra,decvax,seizmo,vax135,ihnp4,mcvax}!philabs!nyit!aca
CSNETaddress:...nyit!aca%suny-s...@CSnet-Relay.ARPA
US Mail:
Alex Arthur
New York Institute of Technology
Computer Graphics Laboratory
Old Westbury, New York 11568

Phone: (516) 686-7644

--

UUCPaddress:...{allegra,decvax,seizmo,vax135,ihnp4,mcvax}!philabs!nyit!aca
CSNETaddress:...nyit!aca%suny-s...@CSnet-Relay.ARPA
US Mail:
Alex Arthur
New York Institute of Technology
Computer Graphics Laboratory
Old Westbury, New York 11568

Phone: (516) 686-7644

Lee Dickey

Mar 3, 1986, 7:29:24 PM3/3/86
Al Arthur (a...@nyit.uucp) asks:

> The documentation for the distribution is not very
> informative. I am experiencing difficulty just getting
> started with APL, ...

Since 4.2 BSD APL is a lot like vanilla flavored APL,
get yourself one of the old standard works on APL, such as
Gilman & Rose, or Gray, or better yet, get yourself this
book (just out) which I recommend highly:

APL: an introduction
Howard A. Peele
Holt, Rinehart and Winston

There is a review of this book in the March issue of APL Quote Quad.