APL for the TRS 80/100 ?

L.J. Dickey

Feb 11, 1986, 7:48:45 PM2/11/86
We have heard a rumour that there is now an APL
for the TRS 80/100. Is there any truth to this?

Rick Perry

Feb 15, 1986, 1:28:38 AM2/15/86
>... ljdi...@watnot.UUCP (L.J. Dickey) writes:
> We have heard a rumour that there is now an APL
> for the TRS 80/100. Is there any truth to this?

I haven't heard that rumor, but if it's so, it probably would be a ROM
implementation... I doubt that it's true.

What you might have heard instead was about an implementation of a
pseudo-apl character set for the Model 100; this is part of an Xmodem/Telecom
program which I wrote a while ago and which is public domain... I'll mail
you a copy if you want.

My M100/APL char set is pretty close to real APL; it just uses the
built-in wierd characters of the M100, i.e. it does not create chars from
scratch using graphics or anything, so some chars are slightly strange
looking (like a block triangle for 'less than or equal'). I use it when
running APL dialing-in to our VAX.

...Rick ...{pyrnj,psuvax1}!vu-vlsi!perry

John Gilmore

Feb 21, 1986, 2:53:16 AM2/21/86
In article <2...@vu-vlsi.UUCP>, pe...@vu-vlsi.UUCP (Rick Perry) writes:
> >... ljdi...@watnot.UUCP (L.J. Dickey) writes:
> > We have heard a rumour that there is now an APL
> > for the TRS 80/100. Is there any truth to this?

It is true. STSC's first micro APL was for the Trash-80 model 100.
They translated this to get the first version of their IBM PC implementation.
Happily, their Unix implementation has no common ancestors with these.

Contact STSC, Inc in Rockville, MD for details. I believe it came
with replacement character generator ROMs that gave you a full
APL character set.
--
John Gilmore {sun,ptsfa,lll-crg,ihnp4}!hoptoad!gnu jgil...@lll-crg.arpa

Todd H. Ogasawara

Feb 24, 1986, 4:37:11 PM2/24/86

>It is true. STSC's first micro APL was for the Trash-80 model 100.

I think you meant the TRS-80 Model III. STSC has never listed
a version for the Model-100 (the portable micro).

>They translated this to get the first version of their IBM PC implementation.

Yes, but STSC APL*PLUS/PC Version 5.0 is an amazing implementation.
It is the best implementation of APL (from the user interface point
of view) that I have ever used.

>Contact STSC, Inc in Rockville, MD for details. I believe it came
>with replacement character generator ROMs that gave you a full
>APL character set.

Yes, you can get APL character ROMs for various PC and PC clone
display boards. I replaced the ROM in the IBM PC monochrome
board. The APL chars are quite nice and for the most part do not cause
many problems when using other programs..

** Disclaimer: I have no association with STSC except as a satisfied
customer.

Todd Ogasawara, Computer Sciences Corp.
NOSC-Hawaii Laboratories

UUCPmail: {akgua,allegra,decvax,ihnp4,ucbvax}!sdcsvax!noscvax!ogasawar
MILNET: OGASAWAR@NOSC