Rowing through the fog

Wayne Cook

Sep 18, 1986, 4:45:44 PM9/18/86
In article <17...@ihlpa.UUCP> nik...@ihlpa.UUCP (Moseley) writes:
>> > Getting nailed to a large block of wood is FUN? (I'd be curious
>> > how you spend your weekends ...)
>>
>> "Yeah, that's it. An' you get... uh..."
>> "Some six-penny nails?"
>> "Yeah! An' you drive the nails right through your palms...
>
>I recall some studies which indicate that nails through the palms of
>a person's hands will not support the person's weight. The nails
>were actually driven through the wrists, which will support a person's
>weight. I also believe that posts were actually used. I'm not sure where
>the idea of a cross came from.
> R. C. Moseley
This is an interesting discussion about the pain of crucifiction. The people
who feel that there are other people who have suffered about as much physical
pain as hanging on a cross are probably right. The main suffering and taking
on the sins of the world was done in the Garden of Gethsemane. There Jesus
bled from every pore because of the pain (and his sweat was as it were great
drops of blood falling down on the ground - Luke 22:44). No other human or
animal has been able to survive the pain that causes blood to come from every
pore. He did. I am sure the crucifiction was not easy, and it was an important
part of the overall plan, but it was probably not the most painful.

Cutter John

Sep 21, 1986, 2:37:33 AM9/21/86
In article <10...@tekcrl.UUCP> way...@tekcrl.UUCP (Wayne Cook) writes:
>This is an interesting discussion about the pain of crucifiction. The people
.
.
.
.
etc.

It sure is interesting, but does it belong in net.jokes?

Jim Griffith
grif...@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP

Todd Krein

Sep 22, 1986, 1:18:03 PM9/22/86

> >> "Yeah, that's it. An' you get... uh..."
> >> "Some six-penny nails?"
> >> "Yeah! An' you drive the nails right through your palms...
> >
> >I recall some studies which indicate that nails through the palms of
> >a person's hands will not support the person's weight. The nails
> >were actually driven through the wrists, which will support a person's
> >weight. I also believe that posts were actually used. I'm not sure where
> >the idea of a cross came from.
> > R. C. Moseley

In the original language (greek?) the word use to describe the
area where the nails were drivin in constitues the middle fore-arm to the palm.
It was mistranslated somewhere...

> This is an interesting discussion about the pain of crucifiction. The people

> who feel that there are other people who have suffered about as much physical
> pain as hanging on a cross are probably right. The main suffering and taking
> on the sins of the world was done in the Garden of Gethsemane. There Jesus
> bled from every pore because of the pain (and his sweat was as it were great
> drops of blood falling down on the ground - Luke 22:44). No other human or
> animal has been able to survive the pain that causes blood to come from every
> pore.

Not true... It's an uncommon but not necessarily dangerous thing..
(As I recall, it's blood passing into the sweat glads through the capillary
walls..)

> He did. I am sure the crucifiction was not easy, and it was an important
> part of the overall plan, but it was probably not the most painful.

Somehow, the idea of asphyxiating for 10-12 hours, slowly, sounds
REALLY painfull, esp. given that his only respite was to put all his weight
on the nail in his foot to releave tension on his diaphram.

Todd Krein
vizard@dartvax

David Krause

Sep 23, 1986, 11:56:15 PM9/23/86
In article <51...@dartvax.UUCP>, viz...@dartvax.UUCP (Todd Krein) writes:

> Somehow, the idea of asphyxiating for 10-12 hours, slowly, sounds ...

> Todd Krein
> vizard@dartvax

To regular readers of net.jokes from a talk.origins denizen, my apologies
for the above posting from our newsgroup.

To those in talk.origins and talk.religion.misc who are continuing to
cross-post this topic to net.jokes (even after their repeated requests to
quit doing it):

*** PLEASE SHOW SOME NET ETIQUETTE AND STOP CROSS-POSTING TO NET JOKES! ***

David Krause