bugs in rogue 5.3 with 4.2 BSD unix

Dik T. Winter

Mar 7, 1986, 10:01:31 PM3/7/86
to rnews@mcvax
Very regularly a game of mine bombs. This occurs in general when I am
carryint a lot. In that case when a request is made for an item and
I answer '*' the game is saved (but not really restorable because the
restored game has the same symptoms). I suspect the inventory data
base is corrupted. I have corroborating evidence for this from transcripted
games. In one case an inventory listing has gotten bogus (mentioning 3
brown potions on separate lines; one indicated by i); the other two
indicated by ().). In another case a Nymph stole 2 potions of restore
strength, but my inventory listed afterwards still 2 of those left
(while I had 3 originally).
I have heard that the problem is still more pronounced with 5.4 rogue
under 4.3 BSD unix (a vax next door, but I have not used it).

My questions:
1. Who maintains this and is he/she aware of these problems?
2. Is it likely to be fixed?
(I am really angry at it as it happens generally in promising games at
level 13 or so.)
UUCP: {seismo,decvax,philabs,okstate,garfield}!mcvax!dik

DWB

Mar 12, 1986, 2:35:34 PM3/12/86
In article <2...@zuring.UUCP>, d...@zuring.uucp (Dik T. Winter) writes:
> Very regularly a game of mine bombs. This occurs in general when I am
> carryint a lot. In that case when a request is made for an item and
> I answer '*' the game is saved (but not really restorable because the
> restored game has the same symptoms). I suspect the inventory data
> base is corrupted. I have corroborating evidence for this from transcripted
> games. In one case an inventory listing has gotten bogus (mentioning 3
> brown potions on separate lines; one indicated by i); the other two
> indicated by ().). In another case a Nymph stole 2 potions of restore
> strength, but my inventory listed afterwards still 2 of those left
> (while I had 3 originally).
> I have heard that the problem is still more pronounced with 5.4 rogue
> under 4.3 BSD unix (a vax next door, but I have not used it).

When we received "Advanced Rogue Version 2.0", (rogue from Bell Labs)
it too had a problems like that. (i.e. fighting a monster in a maze
(not dungeon) was the surest way to bomb the game.) The remedy to that
was very simple, it has to do with a global varible called `version[]'
in vers.c. It is used by the "save" functions as the "lowest" memory
address for the write to the file. This will only work if it linked first
in the final compilation (i.e. cc -O vers.o ..... -o srogue). When I
first got it wasn't like this, but since I had worked on adding a save
routine to midway (by uc berkeley) I changed it, recompiled it and
haven't had a problem since.

Since the source to 5.{3,4} is not distributed I would suggest you
switch to a rogue clone like hack or any other. Nothing is more frustrating
than `attempting to' play a game with buggy code.

--
Doug Boyce Daemen College, Buffalo NY
UUCP : decvax!sunybcs!daemen!boyce or ihnp4!kitty!daemen!boyce