Letters to 60 Minutes -- your turn

The Polymath

Nov 18, 1985, 3:32:22 PM11/18/85
Dear fellow netters,

Two weeks ago I posted to this newsgroup a copy of a letter I sent to 60
Minutes regarding their segment on Dungeons & Dragons and related teenage
suicides. Two of their shows have aired since that time and neither has
acknowledged receipt of the letter, let alone apologized for their
misrepresentation of the facts. This apparent contempt for the facts, and
for us, their audience, leads me to think some cage rattling is in order.

Below is a generic letter to 60 Minutes demanding that they acknowledge and
respond to the facts presented in my original letter. I urge those of you
who care about such things to either print out this letter with your name
appended or write your own letter to 60 Minutes and mail it out
immediately. They seem to respond to mail volume. Let's show them they
can't get away with "National Enquirer" style sensationalism.

---------------------------------CUT HERE-------------------------------------

60 Minutes
524 W. 57th Street
New York, NY 10019

Dear 60 Minutes,

Two weeks ago I read on a world wide computer network an
open letter to your program regarding the segment you
recently presented on fantasy gaming and related teenage
suicides. The letter cited statistics indicating that
teenagers who play fantasy games are less likely to commit
suicide than the average teenager by a ratio of at least 24
to 1. It concluded with a request that you check these
statistics out for yourself and then respond appropriately
(i.e.: with an apology).

At least two of your programs have aired since that letter
was mailed and no mention of it was made in the letters
segment of either. From this I can only conclude that you
are more interested in sensationalism than facts and your
reputation for honest, even-handed reportage is merely a
fabrication of your publicity department.

I'm willing to give you a final opportunity to prove my
conclusion wrong. If you haven't responded to the original
letter within the next two weeks I'll know it's time to find
something more useful to do with my Sunday evenings.

Sincerely,

--------------------------CUT HERE--------------------------------------------

Ok, folks. Here's your chance to make a difference and strike a blow
against the know-nothing reactionaries. Have at 'em!!

(And my sincere thanks to all those who sent encouraging responses to the
original posting).

The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp(+)TTI Common Sense is what tells you that a ten
3100 Ocean Park Blvd. pound weight falls ten times as fast as a
Santa Monica, CA 90405 one pound weight.
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe

moa...@glasgow.uucp

Feb 24, 1986, 3:21:32 PM2/24/86