What is a yuppie?

Gadfly

Nov 5, 1985, 2:04:33 PM11/5/85
Ah yes, yuppies. You know, back in the mid-sixties we'd all get
real stoned and then giggle about how "in 20 years, we're gonna
run this country". (That's "gonna", as in "Smoke dope, get
high, all the pigs are gonna die!") Well, here it is 20 years
later, and guess what--we were right. Even back then, we
knew damn well that we'd wind up compromising a number of our
oh-so-lofty principles, round off a few of the rough edges
here and there. But never, *never*, did any of us ever suspect
that our whole generation en masse would throw away the very
essence of the progressive ideals it held dear and spit on them.

Ah yes, yuppies. No, not you young whippersnappers who never had
any real education--or real principles--to begin with. I'm talking
to *you*, Mr/Ms 35-year-old, used-to-know-all-six-verses-of-Solidarity-
Forever activist-turned-fiscal-conservative, a/k/a "libertarian",
a/k/a "objectivist" (that one really hurts--there was a bona fide
and occasionally useful philosophy called objectivism long before
Ayn Rand usurped the name). You're so spineless you couldn't stand
the cognitive dissonance associated with possessing both a portfolio
and principles. So there you sit, materially well-off but morally
bankrupt. And if you remembered any of your hallowed liberal arts
education through the miasma of professional growth psycho-babble
in your designer brains, even you yourselves could prove it.

O tempora! O mores!
--
*** ***
JE MAINTIENDRAI ***** *****

T Wheeler

Nov 6, 1985, 8:29:32 AM11/6/85
Well, now I have to agree with Ken Perlow. Yes Ken, you're
absolutly right. Not only have the yuppies compromised
their principles, they did not gain any new ones. Who in
the hell am I going to have left to fight with except a
few stalwart liberals on the network? What's the world coming
to? I've noticed one thing about yuppies though, they
never picked up any manners in their trek towards becoming
twits.
T. C. Wheeler

Rich Rosen

Nov 6, 1985, 7:20:53 PM11/6/85

I wasn't aware you thought you were a yuppie, Ted. Principle-less
and manners-less describes you to a "T"...
--
"I was walking down the street. A man came up to me and asked me what was the
capital of Bolivia. I hesitated. Three sailors jumped me. The next thing I

Frank Silbermann

Nov 7, 1985, 6:13:55 PM11/7/85
Ken Perlow (Gadfly) writes (about the '60s):
>--Even back then, we knew damn well that we'd wind up compromising

>a number of our oh-so-lofty principles, round off a few of the rough
>edges here and there. But never, *never*, did any of us ever suspect
>that our whole generation en masse would throw away the very essence
>of the progressive ideals it held dear and spit on them.
>
>I'm talking to *you*, Mr/Ms 35-year-old, used-to-know-all-six-verses-
>of-Solidarity-Forever activist-turned-fiscal-conservative, a/k/a
>"libertarian", a/k/a "objectivist". You're so spineless you couldn't

>stand the cognitive dissonance associated with possessing both a portfolio
>and principles. So there you sit, materially well-off but morally
>bankrupt.

Get real, will ya'? Lofty principles and ideals of the 60's?
Give me a break! Most of the 60's youth didn't even understand
the slogans the spouted. It was merely fashion -- the cool thing
to do at the time (and if you weren't cool, how could you hope
to get laid?). Sure, a few of the New Left (read "communist") yippies
knew what they were doing, but for most of the rest, it was just
one big party. Seeing a few old films like "Getting Straight"
(starring Elliot Gould and Candice Bergen) or "Fritz the Cat"
(starring himself) will set you straight about the motivations
and concerns of that time.

Frank Silbermann