This week's hit list

Wombat

Oct 30, 1985, 2:16:27 AM10/30/85

1. PMRC, of course.

2. Let's add the local "Great Commission" anti-rock christianoids.

3. The people who are not only picketing the film "Hail Mary", but are
physically abusing those people who choose to see the movie.

4. Anyone whose "disclaimers" or cutesy graphic signature exceeds the
length of his/her article.

5. The country and western group ("Mason-Dixon"?) that I accidentally
caught butchering "Every Breath You Take" on TNN the other night.

6. Any idiot who posts a source that generates mail which is sent back
to the poster (cf. net.lang.prolog).

7. The couple who are suing Peter Pan Peanut Butter 'cause their kid
choked on it; they claim the jar should contain a warning that the
peanut butter can stick in one's mouth.

8. The "Citizens for Decency in Broadcasting" who are trying to
organize an advertiser's boycott of the "Bob and Tom Morning Zoo", on
WFBQ in Indianapolis, because they feel it's (direct quote) "dirty radio".

9. The umpire who called Orta safe in the bottom of the ninth of game
6; he was clearly out by most of a step. This atrocious call cost the
Cards the game, and probably the series.

10. Whoever it was that produced the Cramps' album. After watching
some concert footage of them the other night, I'm convinced that there
is not the slightest trace of musical talent in this band.
--
Rich Kulawiec r...@pur-ee.uucp r...@purdue.uucp r...@purdue-asc.arpa

Swamp Thing

Oct 30, 1985, 3:15:08 PM10/30/85
In article <1320@pucc-k> r...@pucc-k.UUCP (Wombat) writes:

>9. The umpire who called Orta safe in the bottom of the ninth of game
>6; he was clearly out by most of a step. This atrocious call cost the
>Cards the game, and probably the series.

Not meaning to get picky (allright, mabye I really do), but, since that obvious
screwup was in the 6th game, and the Cards had won 3 games till that point,
then, if the call did cost them the game, it also cost them the Series. BTW,
that was the same ump who had the incredible shrinking strike zone the next
game. Those umpires really should be picked by merit, not seniority!
Of course, being from St. Louis, I'm totally unbiased.

Mark F. Flynn
Department of Physics
Washington University
St. Louis, MO 63130
ihnp4!wuphys!mff

"There is no dark side of the moon, really.
Matter of fact, it's all dark."

P. Floyd

rp...@uiucuxa.cso.uiuc.edu

Oct 31, 1985, 10:36:00 AM10/31/85

/* Written 2:15 pm Oct 30, 1985 by m...@wuphys.UUCP in uiucuxa:net.flame */

>then, if the call did cost them the game, it also cost them the Series. BTW,
>that was the same ump who had the incredible shrinking strike zone the next
>game. Those umpires really should be picked by merit, not seniority!
>Of course, being from St. Louis, I'm totally unbiased.

Shouldn't there be a ":-)" after that?

Russell J. Price
{ ihnp4, pur-ee, convex }!uiucdcs!uiucuxa!rp321
rp...@uiucuxa.CSO.UIUC.EDU

/* End of text from uiucuxa:net.flame */

john

Nov 4, 1985, 3:14:00 PM11/4/85
<<<<
< since that obvious screwup was in the 6th game, and the Cards had won
< 3 games till that point, then, if the call did cost them the game, it
< also cost them the Series.
<

The screw up was blowing the three game lead they had and letting the series
go to the sixth game. Umps do make mistakes but imagine what sports would
be like if you could challenge a call in court and reverse or replay a game
based on video tape evidence. You would have the supreme court deciding the
superbowl winners after 4 years of litigation.

John Eaton
!hplabs!hp-pcd!john