Coca Cola

w.cambre

May 10, 1985, 8:06:33 PM5/10/85

Lee Gold IS correct in questioning Coca Cola as a trade mark of Coke.
The trademark is spelled Coca-Cola. If the add said Coca Cola and it
isn't Coke, is this a trademark infringement? Or is it OK if they
don't stick in a hyphen?
- Bill Cambre ATTISL 20052354 mtuxo!45223wc

P.S. Hey Lee, was it really Coke?

Graeme Hirst

May 11, 1985, 4:13:13 PM5/11/85
> Lee Gold IS correct in questioning Coca Cola as a trade mark of Coke.
> The trademark is spelled Coca-Cola.

In general, rights to a trademark includes rights to variant spellings.
For example, the reason Mrs Frisby became Mrs Brisby in the film version
of "The Secret of NIMH" was the intent to make her a trademarked character,
to be marketed like Star Wars or Disney characters. However, the trademark
"Frisbee" for the well-known disc interfered with the use of the original
name.
--
\\\\ Graeme Hirst University of Toronto Computer Science Department
//// utcsri!utai!gh / gh.toronto@csnet-relay / 416-978-8747

ANDREW VARE

May 13, 1985, 1:30:48 AM5/13/85
Any nettie ever driven in Los Angeles? I'm sure the 1-in-132 odds
which one plays against in general are more like 1-in-75 or
something on the 405 freeway just before rush hour. I was in the
slow lane the other day and some idiot doing 75 or 80 came up behind
me and, switching to the left, missed my back bumper by inches, and
hit my front bumper cutting me off ahead. If interested, it was a
280 Z [DATSUN] and basically all-primer in the paint dept.

Before you feel sorry for yourself in Aakron or Winnemuca Falls,
try the Long Beach freeway around 2:45 some Friday afternoon....

ATV

Eric Griswold

May 13, 1985, 1:57:46 PM5/13/85

I was under the impression that the old heraldic 'two points of
difference' rule was still in effect for trademarks. Can anyone
aknowledge/refute this? Also, in heraldry it is clear what a 'point'
is. Are there any well-defined notions of 'point' for modern trademarks?

--
``````` Eric Griswold
`` Parallel Computers, Inc.

Alan M. Steinberg

May 14, 1985, 2:28:37 AM5/14/85
>Any nettie ever driven in Los Angeles?

>Before you feel sorry for yourself in Aakron or Winnemuca Falls,
>try the Long Beach freeway around 2:45 some Friday afternoon....

What IS it with L.A. drivers? How many people can "own the road" at
once? I know I generalize (don't we all?), but when you step in your
car, find an on-ramp, and become part of that strange flowing mass on
the Santa Monica Freeway or 101, you take your life into your own hands.
There should be a Rogue-like game, "LA Freeways", complete with hit
points, monsters (Joyrider, Speedfreak, and the dreaded 90-in-the-slow-
lane creature). "Try to get from your condo in Pomona to San Pedro..."
Hey, if you don't tailgate, you ain't cool, right? And you got to, like,
wave to all the girls in the convertibles, fer sure. With both hands off
the wheels in commuter traffic!!

Seriously, if courtesy were part of the driver's test (is it?), more people
in LA would be stuck riding the bus. Of course, the problem is growing here
in fast-paced Silicon Valley. We only get tail-gated in the middle and
fast lanes. (Some people might point out that this is due to all the
LA people who have moved up here, but I would never suggest such a thing.)
So watch out, fellow Silicon Valley folks, we may be turning into another
LA (but I'll never be a Dodger fan).

There. I feel better now. For all of you who now face an hour and a half
commute along the Pomona Freeway back home, be grateful of one thing: Rick
Dees is only on in the morning.

--
__
/ 0_____ Alan Steinberg
| .\ {ucbvax}!decwrl!amdcad!cae780!alan
| )----'
/ | \ \ "The wind doth taste so bittersweet,
| | | \ Like Jaspar Wine and sugar.
| |__/ | It must've blown through someone's feet,
\_____/ Like those of Caspar Weinberger."
|____) -- P. Opus, distinguished flightless water fowl

Bits is bits

May 18, 1985, 5:08:01 PM5/18/85
Listen, wimpoids-complaining-about-southern-california-drivers, be glad you're
safe and sound (-: ? :-) on the West Coast. You want rude? Hey, like try
taxi drivers at the Callahan Tunnel. Try the game here, where you get points
for screeching around people so you can cut them off and slam on your brakes to
make a right hand turn in front of them. I drive in LA and I drive in Boston;
I can make a comparison. The Hub will turn your hair gray. LA just has lots of
cars; it loses big on the Rudeness Scale.

>* david birnbaum *<

May 19, 1985, 1:47:00 AM5/19/85

Driving in midtown Manhattan is by far the worst. You can only move about 5-10
mph during the day, but this doesn't stop taxis from going thru red lights
nor making 3 lanes out of a single lane one way street.

Dee Jay Bee

Sam Mccall

May 21, 1985, 3:05:32 PM5/21/85
> LA just has lots of
> cars; it loses big on the Rudeness Scale.

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR VISA CHARGE NUMBER ***

In February I was involved in my first accident ever as a driver.
It was on Wilshire Blvd. at 6pm on a Saturday night (everyone about to
go to Westwood and Beverly Hills). I rear-ended a Cadillac Seville at
approximately 3 miles per hour (no damage whatsoever sustained to either
vehicle) while almost having been rear-ended myself. I chose to give the
*yahoo* behind me as much room as necessary, as I did not relish having
my 1966 Mustang (original, nearly mint) cruched. This man then proceeded
to take down all of my information (CDL#, insurance, etc.) IN THE MIDDLE
OF WILSHIRE BOULEVARD. This .... wouldn't even let me pull over to the
side of the road. The jist of this ....'s conversation was to the extent
that he and his wife were on there way to dinner, and that they would now
be late. I myself was on my way to a fraternity dinner in Beverley Hills,
but this made no difference to the ....!

As a result, I was subsequently (1 month later)
sued for personal injury and property damage. I agree that it was my
fault for having hit the man's car, but the fact that he sued me for
his having been late to dinner is, along with his whole attitude,
in my opinion, pretty RUDE.

My insurance company is currently handling the matter. They
(I hope) should give this bum and his shyster lawyer a hell of a fight.

Go ahead LA drivers, flame me, make my day...

(
) |--------------------------------------------------
| "Bill, do you realize that at this very moment,
) ) ( ))| there are women out there sleeping with strange
() ) (() ) ())| men in strange beds, and we are making money from
(() ( ((#) ( )))| that?"
((#) )) ((##)() (())| "Isn't America great!"
(##()))()(##)()()\/(|
-- Henry Winkler to Micheal Keaton in "Night Shift"

disclaimer-- I disavow any knowledge of my whereabouts for almost any date
that you can come up with.

Path-- something like ..ucbvax!ucdavis!harpo!ccs012
Affiliation-- none that would verify my affiliation, so what's the use?
Plan in life-- to graduate from college in slightly less than 6 years.

Alan Yamauchi

May 22, 1985, 12:33:59 PM5/22/85

Sure complain about LA or SV drivers, but have you ever driven in
Boston?!! One of the few cities in the US where offensive driving is a
way of life. Red Light?, no problem just keep going everyone else will
obviouly yield to you. Try to find street signs, if you can. The
rotaries are insane, about ten streets feeding into a circular street
with lights that look like the christmas trees at a drag strip. Consider
yourself fortunate to be in LA and SV.

Alan Yamauchi

UUCP: {ihnp4,ucbvax!amd,hpda,sri-unix,harpo}!fortune!yamauchi
DDD: (415)594-2436
USPS: Fortune Systems Corp, 101 Twin Dolphin Drive, Redwood City, CA 94065

pet...@pbear.uucp

May 24, 1985, 10:23:00 AM5/24/85

Yes Boston is a drag to drive in. Its real bad to try and park. Every day
8000 more cars come into Boston than there are parking spots, so everybody
makes a buck. The meter maids write out tickets at a rate of 2 million dollars
worth a MONTH! (Of course everybody waits to pay the tickets and get the BOOT)

Speed limits, lets laugh... The state police don't bother you if you're under
80. Unless its late at night or near quota time.

Insurance, lets get mad! I thought people in Joisey had it bad. I have a
2K$ motorcycle and the insurance agency wanted 864$/yr for JUST comprehensive!
I asked why it was so high, and the answer was "Well we take the schedule for
a 2K$ car and multilpy by 2.65 to adjust for the fact that motorcycles vanish
that much faster in this city." Come off of it, that about 46% of the value of
the bike! Collision was about 560$/yr, so I just put liability on it for
148$/yr and 2 days later the bike gets stolen ... I got it back a week
later with about 600$ damage!!!

Feel fortunate you don't have Cape Cod out there with only 2 4-lane bridges
to get the cars on or off. This weekend about 45,000 - 60,000 cars are going
ointo Cape Cod.(Quoted by Len Gobeil, executive director og the Hyannis
Area Chamber of Commerce) On Memorial Day last year there was a 12 mile
backup of cars on Rte 6 trying to get off of Cape Cod. It took about 3 hours
for people to get off of Cape Cod.

If you don;t like it, tough. Don;t yell at me about how bad LA is, come on
out here and get some driving lessons....

Peter Barada
{ihnp4!inmet|{harvard|cca}!ima}!pbear!peterb

Clare Chu

Jul 16, 1985, 9:21:49 PM7/16/85

Agree! I'll take L.A. drivers any day! Read the article on L.A.
freeways in this month's California magazine. It's quite funny.

Clare