Ban Porn Discussion

rp...@uiucuxa.cso.uiuc.edu

Oct 1, 1985, 11:27:00 AM10/1/85

bi...@hpflca.UUCP writes:

>An exaggeration? Maybe, but there's a bit too much truth there to write
>it off completely. It was ok for the sexual revolution of the '70's to
>happen, and we had the largest and most wide-spread outbreak of venereal
>desease in history. It was ok for the homosexuals to come out of the
>closet, and we've got AIDS to reckon with.

What he doesn't realize is that in Africa, where AIDS originated, it strikes
men and women equally, without regard to sexual preference.

Russell J. Price
rp...@uiucuxa.Uiuc.ARPA

ay...@convexs.uucp

Oct 2, 1985, 5:55:00 PM10/2/85

> ... It was ok for the sexual revolution of the '70's to

>happen, and we had the largest and most wide-spread outbreak of venereal
>desease in history.

Why, oh, why will no one ever actually _look_ at history before quoting it?

<sigh>

("I don't suppose you have a picture of my father -- never mind")

blues, II

g. anderson

Oct 3, 1985, 2:38:39 PM10/3/85

This is a good example what happens when people fiddle with what
God has structured, he said "one woman one man".

63628427

Oct 22, 1985, 6:43:09 PM10/22/85

I would remind Mr. Anderson that AIDS did not spring from the act
homosexual sex. The path of the disease from Africa to the U.S. is
not quite known yet, but I am sure that God did not bring it here to
punish the children who have gotten it through transfusions, or the
health workers who have gotten it while trying to find a cure for
it. AIDS is a _disease_, akin to the flu and many other viral
infections. It is not an act of retribution by an angry god. It will
be conquered by _humans_ that are dedicated to ending the death that
it brings.
Now, on the subject of venereal diseases, I seem to remember that
before the current AIDS scare, there was a herpes scare that went
around the country. This disease too is a venereal disease, and it
was (and is) being spread during one of the most conservative times
(politically and socially) of this nation's recent history. Herpes,
syphillis, and gohnorea(sp?) are all _diseases_ too. They are things
from _nature_, not some omnipotent source.

John Ogawa
U.C. San Diego

Disclaimer: All that I say is mine alone, and my responsibility.

D.KALL

Oct 24, 1985, 12:35:53 AM10/24/85
Sorry g but that very pat argument simply does not hold any validity.
Not only does AIDS inflict those who live sexual lives outside of your
moral reasoning of right with terrible illness it also attacks those
who would be innocent by your same system.

Walter Bright

Oct 29, 1985, 12:51:41 PM10/29/85
AIDS is not a retribution from God, it is more a retribution from nature.
It is a simple biological fact that the more promiscuous a population
is, the more susceptible it is to disease. I suspect that many of the
traditional 'morals' and 'taboos' have a basic biological truth to them.
Multiple sex partners is like sharing silverware, or eating with dirty
hands. Sooner or later, things will catch up with you.

showard

Oct 30, 1985, 5:36:45 PM10/30/85
> Now, on the subject of venereal diseases, I seem to remember that
> before the current AIDS scare, there was a herpes scare that went
> around the country. This disease too is a venereal disease, and it
> was (and is) being spread during one of the most conservative times
> (politically and socially) of this nation's recent history.
>
> John Ogawa
> U.C. San Diego
>
> Disclaimer: All that I say is mine alone, and my responsibility.

I think the comparison of AIDS and herpes is stretching it a bit. AIDS
is a virus which debilitates the body's immune system, causing death. Herpes
is a _skin disease_. When you get herpes, you go to a dermatologist, who can
get the disease under control (it is treatable but incurable) for the most part.

--Mr. Blore, the DJ who would not die
--aka Steve Howard, ...udenva!showard

pam pincha

Nov 4, 1985, 7:37:04 PM11/4/85
In article <9...@udenva.UUCP> sho...@udenva.UUCP (showard) writes:

> I think the comparison of AIDS and herpes is stretching it a bit. AIDS
>is a virus which debilitates the body's immune system, causing death. Herpes
>is a _skin disease_. When you get herpes, you go to a dermatologist, who can
>get the disease under control (it is treatable but incurable) for the most part.
Sorry, guess again.
Herpes is one of several viruses in the Epstein Barr virus group(?).
It is not just a skin disease!! It also has immune system links.
It's not such a big stretch.

P.M.Pincha-Wagener