Request for XENIX TCP/IP Beta Sites

1 view

Chris McIntosh

Oct 6, 1986, 10:45:19 AM10/6/86

[Line eater appetizer]

Request for XENIX TCP/IP Beta Sites

Interlan is currently looking for qualified beta test sites for its NP621A
Intelligent Ethernet communications processor. The processor supports
TCP/IP on-board running under the XENIX SCO V PC/AT environment. User interface
software supports the Berkeley 4.2 socket interface. Utilities include ftp,
rlogin, rsh, telnet and rcp. Interested parties should respond to:

...mit-eddie!interlan!chris

or snail mail to:

Chris McIntosh
Micom-Interlan
155 Swanson Rd.
Boxborough, MA 01719

Tel. 1-800-LAN-TALK ext. 721 (outside MA)
1-800-TELL-LAN ext. 721 (inside MA)

Phil Ngai

Oct 7, 1986, 2:59:19 AM10/7/86
In article <1...@interlan.UUCP> ch...@interlan.UUCP (Chris McIntosh) writes:
>Interlan is currently looking for qualified beta test sites for its NP621A
>Intelligent Ethernet communications processor. The processor supports
>TCP/IP on-board running under the XENIX SCO V PC/AT environment. User interface
>software supports the Berkeley 4.2 socket interface. Utilities include ftp,
>rlogin, rsh, telnet and rcp. Interested parties should respond to:

Does it do arp? subnets? Is that both client and server for
ftp/telnet? How about routed, rwhod, rwho, ping, ICMP echo? (I think
ICMP echo should be required but SOME vendors don't provide it. Names
on request.) tcp/ip uucp (a good way to bring up mail and news
quickly)?

As far as I know neither CMC nor Excelan do routed, though I have
asked for it. Excelan does claim to do rwhod and tcp/ip uucp, although
I haven't tried either of them. Their ftp seems to go at about 80,000
bits per second "get"ting into /dev/null on a 6 MHz PC/AT.

Wonder of wonders, Excelan provides a real slide latch on their
interface instead of the stupid screws that 3 Com expects. It works
well with our DEC lightweight office transceiver cables.

> Chris McIntosh
> Micom-Interlan

> Tel. 1-800-LAN-TALK ext. 721 (outside MA)
> 1-800-TELL-LAN ext. 721 (inside MA)

You know, I really hate "cute" telephone numbers. They take about four
times as long to dial. I wouldn't mind as much if the companies would
provide real numbers but they always make you translate it yourself.
--
In California, the personals have three sections, "Women Seeking Men",
"Men Seeking Women", and "Men seeking Men".

Phil Ngai +1 408 749 5720
ARPA: amdcad!ph...@decwrl.dec.com