Looking for TCP/IP for HP9000 running HP/UX

Deb Jackson

Oct 18, 1986, 1:20:36 PM10/18/86
We've got 2 HP-9000's (300 series) running HP/UX, with ethernet.
The problem is that the HP's don't have TCP/IP, so we've got a
real problem trying to get them to talk to our Vax running 4.2BSD(BRL).

HP won't help us because we don't have a maintenance/support agreement.
(The machines were gifts, so I can't complain...)

If anyone has tackled the communication problem, or knows someone
who has, please send e-mail! It would be nice to have a way to get
speech/image data to the HP's over an ethernet...

Thanks in advance,
Deb (d...@dsp.ee.gatech.EDU)
--
Deborah J. Jackson
Georgia Tech, School of Electrical Engineering, Digital Signal Processing

John Gilmore

Oct 24, 1986, 5:07:30 AM10/24/86
In article <1...@gt-eedsp.UUCP>, d...@gt-eedsp.UUCP (Deb Jackson) writes:
> We've got 2 HP-9000's (300 series) running HP/UX, with ethernet.
> The problem is that the HP's don't have TCP/IP, so we've got a
> real problem trying to get them to talk to our Vax running 4.2BSD(BRL).

The October 86 issue of the HP Journal just arrived here last week.
It's all about networking and HP's AdvanceNet architecture. Turns
out that they *did* implement TCP/IP on the HP 3000 series, but the
HP 9000's have to suffer with HP proprietary protocols for file transfer
and remote file system access. No standard protocols are provided,
except that if you really want to, you can read and write raw Ethernet
packets (gee thanks!). You could probably cobble something together
to talk to your Vaxen this way.

Hard to believe that they did all the development to build TCP/IP on
the 3000's, but for Unix, where an implementation was available for free,
they didn't bother...
--
John Gilmore {sun,ptsfa,lll-crg,ihnp4}!hoptoad!gnu jgil...@lll-crg.arpa
Overheard at a funeral: "I know this may be an awkward time, but do

Usenet netnews

Oct 24, 1986, 10:03:31 PM10/24/86
From: j...@oddhack.Caltech.Edu (Jon Leech)

In article <12...@hoptoad.uucp> g...@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
>In article <1...@gt-eedsp.UUCP>, d...@gt-eedsp.UUCP (Deb Jackson) writes:
>> We've got 2 HP-9000's (300 series) running HP/UX, with ethernet.
>> The problem is that the HP's don't have TCP/IP, so we've got a
>> real problem trying to get them to talk to our Vax running 4.2BSD(BRL).
>
>The October 86 issue of the HP Journal just arrived here last week.
>It's all about networking and HP's AdvanceNet architecture. Turns
>out that they *did* implement TCP/IP on the HP 3000 series, but the
>HP 9000's have to suffer with HP proprietary protocols for file transfer
>and remote file system access. No standard protocols are provided,
>except that if you really want to, you can read and write raw Ethernet
>packets (gee thanks!). You could probably cobble something together
>to talk to your Vaxen this way.

We have 10 HP 9000/320s running HP-UX (essentially System V). As
one of the HP AI Grant recipients, we have recieved lots of software
developed at HP Labs including ports of the 4.3 BSD networking utilities.
We are running the full set (ftp, telnet, rlogin, rsh, rwho, etc.) with
relatively few problems. I believe this software will become a supported
product eventually.

Incidentally, HP's RFA product (one of the `proprietary protocols'
mentioned above) is nowhere near as nifty as NFS, but it does provide
a distributed file system among our machines; it's a lot better than
`suffering' with ftp or uucp.

-- Jon Leech (...seismo!cit-vax!jon || j...@csvax.caltech.edu)
Caltech Computer Science Graphics Group
__@/

Deb Jackson

Oct 25, 1986, 2:30:25 PM10/25/86
>In article <1...@gt-eedsp.UUCP>, I wrote:
We've got 2 HP-9000's (300 series) running HP/UX, with ethernet.
The problem is that the HP's don't have TCP/IP, so we've got a
real problem trying to get them to talk to our Vax running 4.2BSD(BRL).

In article <12...@hoptoad.uucp> g...@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
>The October 86 issue of the HP Journal just arrived here last week.
>It's all about networking and HP's AdvanceNet architecture. Turns
>out that they *did* implement TCP/IP on the HP 3000 series, but the
>HP 9000's have to suffer with HP proprietary protocols for file transfer
>and remote file system access.
>

>John Gilmore {sun,ptsfa,lll-crg,ihnp4}!hoptoad!gnu jgil...@lll-crg.arpa

This apparently is no longer true. TCP/IP w/file transfers is now
available for the HP 9000 series, with the latest Rev. of HP/UX.
This information was provided by a couple of helpful HP personell as
well as some end-users of the HP9000s.

A summary of the pertinent information follows, and while I didn't
get permission to post it from the individuals, I don't believe they
will mind. (Many apologies if I'm wrong!)

MANY MANY MANY THANKS TO ALL THAT WROTE TO ME!
From: <gatech!hplabs!hpfcdc!hpcnoe!jason>

HP has released Arpa/Berkeley Services for the HP 9000 series 300. It supports
a full DDN compatible TCP/IP with certified connectivity to BSD4.2, SUN,
Apollo, and others. [...]
--
This is not an official statement of Hewlett-Packard Corp., and does not
necessarily reflect the views of HP. It is provided completely without warranty

Jason Zions Hewlett-Packard
Colorado Networks Division 3404 E. Harmony Road
Mail Stop 102 Ft. Collins, CO 80525
{ihnp4,seismo,hplabs,gatech}!hpfcdc!hpcnoe!jason

From gatech!hplabs!hpda!hpirs!hartman Fri Oct 24 13:12:05 1986

Deborah,

Consider this yet another letter from a concerned HP person who
wants you to know that we released TCP/IP support for the 300's
this summer past, including 4.2 networking (rsh, rlogin, sendmail, etc.)
as well as ARPA services (telnet, ftp, etc.). [...]

Doug Hartman
hplabs!hpda!hartman

Thanks also to Hurf Sheldon (hu...@ionvax.tn.cornell.edu) and
Paul Haas (ha...@mich-state.edu) for their contributions!

-Deb

Mark Bradakis

Oct 26, 1986, 9:42:19 PM10/26/86

No matter where I go, I get there late or come too soon!
... !utah-cs!mjb

Jason Zions

Oct 27, 1986, 3:48:34 PM10/27/86
g...@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) / 3:07 am Oct 24, 1986 /

> In article <1...@gt-eedsp.UUCP>, d...@gt-eedsp.UUCP (Deb Jackson) writes:
> > We've got 2 HP-9000's (300 series) running HP/UX, with ethernet.
> > The problem is that the HP's don't have TCP/IP, so we've got a
> > real problem trying to get them to talk to our Vax running 4.2BSD(BRL).
>
> The October 86 issue of the HP Journal just arrived here last week.
> It's all about networking and HP's AdvanceNet architecture. Turns
> out that they *did* implement TCP/IP on the HP 3000 series, but the
> HP 9000's have to suffer with HP proprietary protocols for file transfer
> and remote file system access. No standard protocols are provided,
> except that if you really want to, you can read and write raw Ethernet
> packets (gee thanks!). You could probably cobble something together
> to talk to your Vaxen this way.

HP released full ARPA/Berkeley services for the HP 9000 Series 300 computers
(310 and 320). This includes all the standard services (ftp, telnet, rlogin,
rcp, etc.) as well as a DDN standard TCP/IP.

The product was released in August. It's a shame the lead time on the
HP Journal is so lengthy.

We don't like gaps in our product line any more than you do.

> Hard to believe that they did all the development to build TCP/IP on
> the 3000's, but for Unix, where an implementation was available for free,
> they didn't bother...

Quality-wise, you get what you pay for. The HP product has the traditional
HP quality. You don't get that with the "free" implementations...

Jim Reid

Oct 31, 1986, 5:10:20 AM10/31/86
In article <12...@hoptoad.uucp> g...@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
>In article <1...@gt-eedsp.UUCP>, d...@gt-eedsp.UUCP (Deb Jackson) writes:
>> We've got 2 HP-9000's (300 series) running HP/UX, with ethernet.
>> The problem is that the HP's don't have TCP/IP, so we've got a
>> real problem trying to get them to talk to our Vax running 4.2BSD(BRL).
>
>The October 86 issue of the HP Journal just arrived here last week.
>It's all about networking and HP's AdvanceNet architecture. Turns
>out that they *did* implement TCP/IP on the HP 3000 series, but the
>HP 9000's have to suffer with HP proprietary protocols for file transfer
>and remote file system access. No standard protocols are provided,
>except that if you really want to, you can read and write raw Ethernet
>packets (gee thanks!). You could probably cobble something together
>to talk to your Vaxen this way.
>
>Hard to believe that they did all the development to build TCP/IP on
>the 3000's, but for Unix, where an implementation was available for free,
>they didn't bother...

Yes, this is very annoying. We have just bought a 9000/560 series which
has no Ethernet software at all. [We bought the machine because it's ideal
for one of our teaching labs as a "standalone" machine.] We have been told
that HP are paying the Wollongong (sp?) Group to port the BSD TCP/IP software
to this beast. This is crazy when as John Gilmore says HP could have had the
code for nothing. [OK SysV != BSD, but it shouldn't be *that* much work.]
Instead, we have to wait for a third party to develop and provide the code.
Meantime, we're itching to add the machine to our network.

Jim

ARPA: jim%cs.stra...@ucl-cs.arpa, j...@cs.strath.ac.uk
UUCP: j...@strath-cs.uucp, ...!seismo!mcvax!ukc!strath-cs!jim
JANET: j...@uk.ac.strath.cs

"JANET domain ordering is swapped around so's there'd be some use for rev(1)!"