fiber optic info wanted

1 view

Phil Ngai

Sep 28, 1986, 4:50:44 PM9/28/86
I would like to understand fiber optics from a systems designer's
point of view better. I think I want to know about:

o optical sources, esp LED
typical power
source output pattern
wavelengths
causes and probability of degradation and failure
o power launching and coupling
power coupling calculations
effect of fiber diameter
effect of numerical aperture
effect of wavelength
connection and splice techniques
effects of misalignment
o photodetectors
typical sensitivity
wavelengths
causes and probability of degradation and failure
o measurements
attenuation
distance
dispersion

but there are probably things I don't even know I need to know. I do
understand step/graded index and single/multi-mode fibers. Would
anyone care to recommend a book(s) on the subject? Thanks.

--
In Texas they put up road signs telling drivers to obey the road signs.

Phil Ngai +1 408 749 5720
ARPA: amdcad!ph...@decwrl.dec.com

Donald M. Levy

Oct 1, 1986, 5:14:50 PM10/1/86
The AMP Incorporated "Designer's Guide to Fiber Optics" publication is
a rather handy reference that can be obtained by contacting your local
sales representative from that company. It was published in 1982,
but still has plenty of useful information.

Don Levy d...@ford-wdl1.arpa