THE DARK KNIGHT

JERRY BOYAJIAN

Mar 20, 1986, 8:31:38 AM3/20/86

> From: wuphys!jmc (Jimmy Chen)

> In The Dark Knight, we find out what the Waynes were
> doing the night Bruce's parents were murdered. They
> went to see the movie Zorro. Now, for those whose
> knowledge of Batman is encyclopedic, does this
> contradict anything previously published? I can't
> remember an comic ever saying where the Waynes had been
> that night. All I remember is they were out for a
> night on the town.

Well, my knowledge of Batman is not "encyclopedic", but, no, I don't
think it was ever before revealed where the Wayne's had been or what
they'd been doing the night that Joe Chill shot them. I think it is
very appropriate that they saw a Zorro movie (in addition to the fact
that, being a Zorro fan, I was profoundly pleased with the idea).

> I also didn't know he had ever
> been trapped in a cave full of bats. I thought
> the whole bat idea was because one flew by his window
> while he was trying to think of a suitable name for his
> vigilante persona.

Yes, that's how he chose the name "Batman", but the cave scene certainly
doesn't contradict this. When he decided on the bat motif, remember, he
said that it would "strike fear into the hearts of criminals". I felt that
the cave scene merely demonstrated why Bruce thought that the bat was a
fearful image.

> While I like the Batman, does he really warrants so
> much effort? What can they possibly have to say about
> him? He's not Superman, you know. He's just this
> ordinary guy with a lot of money and a somewhat
> fanatical desire to revenge himself on the criminal
> elements. Part James Bond, part looney.

That's exactly why he's one of my favorite heroes. He represents us
ordinary folk. It's easier to identify with a superhero who is one
because he built himself up into the role rather than because of an
accident of birth or circumstance that granted super-powers. He is,
like most vigilante figures, us striking back at crime. To my mind,
Superman and Batman represent the ultimate superheroes, one who is
"endowed with powers far beyond those of ordinary men" and the other
as one who is the expression of what a human being can become. The
only serious rival that Batman has for that role is perhaps Captain
America.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Acton-Nagog, MA)

UUCP: {decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}
!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA: boyajian%akov6...@DECWRL.DEC.COM