Adventure games as AI

FIS...@rutgers.arpa

Jun 15, 1983, 4:09:14 PM6/15/83
From: Ron <FIS...@RUTGERS.ARPA>

I'm a systems staff member of the Lab for Computer Science Research
here at Rutgers. We have an informal group of hackers and programmers
undertaking the implementation of a multi-player adventure game.
We're attempting to combine ROGUE-like strategy with ADVENTURE-like
role-playing.

We'd like to have non-player characters with their own motivations.
Non-player characters are those people in a role playing game being
controlled by the game's referee. In our case this control would be
some chunk of software operating on a representation of the
character's goals and knowledge.

Can anyone provide references for papers in this area (would anyone
sponsor such a thing! A game as research, bah!)

Agreed, adventure games are a very rich environment for this sort of
thing.

(ron)