Berkeley Linguistics Society CALL FOR PAPERS

1 view

P.MICHAELIS

Oct 24, 1986, 4:50:27 PM10/24/86

T H E B E R K E L E Y L I N G U I S T I C S S O C I E T Y

B L S 1 3

C A L L F O R P A P E R S

The Berkeley Linguistics Society is pleased to announce its Thirteenth Annual
Meeting, to be held February 14 - 16, 1987. The conference will consist of a
General Session and a Parasession. Each of these will have a number of invited
speakers.

G E N E R A L S E S S I O N

The main session will cover areas of general linguistic interest. Invited
speakers include:

DWIGHT BOLINGER, Harvard University (Emeritus)
JOHN GOLDSMITH, University of Chicago
PAUL HOPPER, SUNY-Buffalo
JOHN OHALA, University of California, Berkeley

P A R A S E S S I O N O N G R A M M A R A N D C O G N I T I O N

This year's parasession will examine the nature of human linguistic knowledge
and its representation in linguistic, psycholinguistic, philosophical, and AI
models. The relationship between linguistic cognition and other cognitive
systems, and the correspondence between the linguist's constructs and the
speaker's mental constructs, are among the possible topics. Invited speakers
include:

ELISABETH BATES, University of California, San Diego
EVE V. & HERBERT H. CLARK, Stanford University
RAY JACKENDOFF, Brandeis University
MARTIN KAY, CSLI/Xerox PARC
DAVID RUMELHART, University of California, San Diego
DAN SLOBIN, University of California, Berkeley

Speakers will be allowed 20 minutes for presentation and 10 minutes for
questions. You are invited to submit an abstract for either session. To do
so, mail EIGHT COPIES of a 500-word abstract to:

Laura A. Michaelis
Berkeley Linguistics Society
2337 Dwinelle Hall
University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720

Your abstract should discuss your topic or problem, your approach, and your
conclusions. You may append, if appropriate, a second page containing data and
bibliographic references.

Your abstract should be accompanied by a single 3 X 5 card containing the title
of your paper, the session for which your paper is to be considered, your name,
affiliation, and mailing address. DO NOT IDENTIFY YOURSELF ON THE ABSTRACT.

Please try to submit abstracts before November 16, 1986.