Wild Oakland Presents... Oakland's Marine Biology at Jack London Marina with Ken-ichi Ueda!

1 view

Constance Taylor

Aug 31, 2015, 1:23:00 AM8/31/15
to nerdhe...@googlegroups.com, nerdsfo...@googlegroups.com
Wild Oakland Presents... Oakland's Marine Biology at Jack London Marina with Ken-ichi Ueda!

When: Saturday, September 12 from 12 pm - 2 pm
Where: Meet outside of Scott's Seafood Restaurant by the big mast (2 Broadway, Oakland CA, 94607)
Cost: FREE! $5-10 suggested donation.
Please RSVP to in...@wildoakland.org (not required, but encouraged!)
Event page here

Did you know every floating dock is an upside-down coral reef? Well, not with actual coral, but they are teeming with marine life! Sponges, tunicates, worms, crabs, and even sea spiders and nudibranchs that often live deep underwater often live on the bottom of docks, where they can find the hard substrate and constant inundation they need to survive.

Join us on Saturday 9/12 as we see what kind of weird squishy sea life we can find living under the public dock at Jack London Marina!

We'll meet at the big mast outside Scott’s Restaurant at the end of Broadway, which is totally walkable from 12th St and Lake Merritt BART stations, or the ferry.

What to bring:
clothes you can get dirty (we’ll be on our bellies and there’s plenty of bird poo)
camera
hand lens or magnifying lens
clear or white dish for examining specimen
sun screen if you need it (there’s no shade)
drinking water

Please RSVP to in...@wildoakland.org (not required, but encouraged!)

See you at the dock!

--
Best,
Constance Taylor

www.wildoakland.org
Phone: 614 622 0180

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands."
- Douglas Adams