Wild Oakland Presents... Field Geology with Andrew Alden!

Constance Taylor

Sep 7, 2015, 2:05:44 PM9/7/15
to nerdhe...@googlegroups.com, nerdsfo...@googlegroups.com
Wild Oakland Presents... Field Geology with Andrew Alden!

When: Sunday, September 20 from 2:00 - 4:00 pm
Where: Knowland Park (meeting details will be sent upon ticket purchase)
Cost: $10.00

Right now, after the goats have groomed the poison oak and before the rainy season, is the best time to access the rock outcrops of Knowland Park. This vigorous, fieldwork-style outing for people interested in geology will take a limited group off the trails and across this rare unspoiled stretch of Oakland's hills.

After a brief presentation on geologic mapping and the major rock types found in Oakland, we'll roam the land and compare the evidence on the ground to the published geologic map in our hands. We'll gather now and then to discuss our findings.

Bring a hand lens if you have one and a sketch pad if you like. Hammering and collecting rocks are not permitted.

There are no bathroom or drinking water facilities at Knowland Park. Please remember to bring drinking water, sunscreen, a hat, snacks, and comfortable walking shoes!

For more information, e-mail in...@wildoakland.org or visit the event page here.

--
Best,
Constance Taylor

www.wildoakland.org
Phone: 614 622 0180

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands."
- Douglas Adams