Edaville Question

Robert Metell

May 1, 2022, 11:15:53 AM5/1/22
to nerail
Over the past few days, I've seen a number of photos from back in the day of trains on the "old line" or "old mainline". I have not been to Eadville in ages, just curious has the route been changed from the loop around and through the bogs?

Growing up that was always one of our School and Boy Scouts Holiday Trips.

Many Thanks
Bob

David Grimm

May 1, 2022, 2:02:39 PM5/1/22
to ner...@googlegroups.com
According to Wikipedia, (Google can be your friend), the line was shortened 17 years ago, so technically the answer to your question depends on when you were there last.

madog

May 1, 2022, 2:31:44 PM5/1/22
to ner...@googlegroups.com
BUT....they are actually running now and with steam?

Bill><>

Ed Andrade

May 2, 2022, 7:23:54 AM5/2/22
to ner...@googlegroups.com

According to their website they run steam on "select days".  Whats interesting is that I thought several years ago Edaville was turned into a "Thomas Land", but the website doesn't show much about that.  So I'm wondering if that deal fell through?  In any case it looks like at least the majority of Edaville is more of a young kids amusement park which is what I recall from when we took our kids there probably 7 or 8 years ago now.

-Ed

JB Mentzer

May 29, 2022, 8:00:44 PM5/29/22
to ner...@googlegroups.com

Bob, et al:

The old Edaville right of way went north of Atwood Reservoir, then passed close to Meadow St. Anyone recall if this is where Santa's Village was, or was it next to one of the bogs? Be fun to place faded memories from about 1980 or so.

In Google Earth, viewing Meadow St and Paige Ct in Carver will show several homes. Rewind the view to 12/2001, and the right of way appears, pre-construction. A quick plot says the abandoned alignment is 3.89 miles, or so.

Recall, too, recall the Sept 1993 convoy of equipment (engines, cars, etc) back to Maine. This likely played a roll in in shortening the route.

* JB *

Robert Metell

May 30, 2022, 11:26:50 PM5/30/22
to nerail
JB

1980 would be right around the last time I was there. Now that I am living back in East Boston again I was planning a trip to Edaville when COVID hit!

It seems to me that Santa's Village was on or near a cranberry bog on the loop and Santa's Workshop was between the museum buildings and the shop area. I think I went to Edaville at Christmas time from 1st grade through High School and even a few times when I was in the CG stationed in New Bedford.

Peace