Ner-a-Car Flywheel Magnetos

andy pugh

Apr 20, 2022, 6:27:58 PM4/20/22
to Neracar Group
I have been attempting to work out how to remagnetise a Model A
flywheel. As I have several that are basically scrap I took one apart
to see if, perhaps, corrosion between the parts was part of the issue.

They are not constructed the way that I thought.

There are two semicircular magnets, which fit onto a brass ring. Then
the "shoes" (which are laminated transformer steel and not,
themselves, magentisable, are held on with screws.

Then that whole assembly is pushed into the main flywheel and secured
with 4 screws and nuts.

I managed to get 200G of field at the ends of the semicircles after
magnetising them separately, but after assembly I am back at a rather
feeble 50G at the shoes.

I might experiment with making new shoes with embedded rare-earth magnets.

--
atp
lunatics."

andy pugh

Apr 20, 2022, 6:29:21 PM4/20/22
to Neracar Group
On Wed, 20 Apr 2022 at 23:27, andy pugh <bodg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> There are two semicircular magnets, which fit onto a brass ring. Then
> the "shoes" (which are laminated transformer steel and not,
> themselves, magentisable, are held on with screws.

I forgot the picture: https://photos.app.goo.gl/J9dbU19DEcVW6gnw6

Thomas Lovejoy

Oct 22, 2022, 11:33:09 AM10/22/22
to Neracar
I know a machinist who had rare-earth
 magnets made for early motorcycles and they worked super good ! If you know the local model T club, I would recommend contacting them. They usually have a magneto guy and alot of time's he has special equipment made up to charge magnet's - might be worth a try. I know from experience with my model T's it make a big difference in magneto performance. Following your post with interest.