Finally Got A Clock and It Doesn't Work

Mac Doktor

Jun 10, 2024, 5:57:32 PMJun 10
to neonixie-l
This just arrived today:

It's multiplexed. The zeroes are on all the time and several numerals never light up. I assume that the K155ID1is toast. Anyone?

Terry Bowman, KA4HJH
"The Mac Doctor"

https://www.astarcloseup.com

Detective Gregory: “Is there any other point to which you would wish to draw my attention?”
Sherlock Holmes: “To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time.”
Gregory: “The dog did nothing in the night-time.”
Holmes: “That was the curious incident.” — "Silver Blaze", Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

gregebert

Jun 11, 2024, 12:31:55 AMJun 11
to neonixie-l
Try disconnecting pin16 of the K155 ("0'"); if that solves the unwanted zeros you're 1 step closer. If this IC is bad, it might be worth removing it and installing a socket. That way, you can test each tube by grounding the appropriate cathode pin at the socket.

My experience with IC's and other semiconductors is that they are extremely reliable as long as the datasheet parameters are followed. I dont recall ever having a confirmed IC failure, except for a used Raspberry Pi I apparently killed from ESD (or maybe the previous owner weakened it ???)

Michail Wilson

Jun 11, 2024, 12:37:14 AMJun 11
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

Funny, I was going to go after it, but only for the tubes.  I decided against it since the leads are too short for my purpose.  Then again, I almost bought it just to fix and then take the tubes.

Yeah, you have a short for 0 which is most likely the K155.   Have you tried simply putting in a new one? (It’s fortunately socketed.)

Michail Wilson

206-920-6312

Mac Doktor

Jun 11, 2024, 6:53:59 PMJun 11
to neonixie-l

On Jun 11, 2024, at 12:37 AM, Michail Wilson <M...@Michail.com> wrote:

Yeah, you have a short for 0 which is most likely the K155.   Have you tried simply putting in a new one? (It’s fortunately socketed.)

OK, who stateside has a couple lying around? I'll go to eBay if I have to but I'll get clobbered on the shipping.

Terry Bowman, KA4HJH
"The Mac Doctor"

Edward R. Murrow: “Who owns the patent on this vaccine?”
Dr. Jonas Salk: “Well, the people, I would say. There is no patent. Could you patent the sun?”—See It Now, 12 April 1955

Xavier Burton

Jun 11, 2024, 6:56:57 PMJun 11
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

I got you. Just shoot me an email and I'll send you some for free.