VFD with Chinese Character

Mac Doktor

Jun 17, 2024, 5:54:47 PM (12 days ago) Jun 17
to neonixie-l
https://www.ebay.com/itm/355588589283

I've got mine on the way. Make the seller an offer.

Terry Bowman, KA4HJH
"The Mac Doctor"

“...the book said something astonishing, a very big thought. The stars, it said, were suns but very far away. The Sun was a star but close up.”—Carl Sagan, "The Backbone Of Night", Cosmos, 1980

gregebert

Jun 17, 2024, 7:52:39 PM (12 days ago) Jun 17
to neonixie-l
I read somewhere that a basic Mandarin character set is over 2000 symbols....sounds like you might need a few more tubes.

Mac Doktor

Jun 17, 2024, 8:36:26 PM (12 days ago) Jun 17
to neonixie-l

On Jun 17, 2024, at 7:52 PM, gregebert <greg...@hotmail.com> wrote:

I read somewhere that a basic Mandarin character set is over 2000 symbols....sounds like you might need a few more tubes.

In another lifetime I worked at what is now The Rosetta Stone®. One of my many tasks was to create the printed documentation for the curriculum. Everything that didn't use the Roman alphabet, that is. Chinese and Japanese were loads of fun. Mandarin has two scripts, Traditional and Simplified. Japanese has three, the last being a transliteration to the Roman alphabet. Yeah, they snuck it in.

Others included Indonesian, Greek Hindi, Arabic and Hebrew. I don't speak or read any of these languages. I wrote a complex application with HyperCard that took the raw text from the translators and marked it up to be imported into a DTP app with all of the correct font, size, leading etc. applied. If a comma was changed out in the middle of a 100 page book I could have the modified page printed out in exactly seven minutes.

I was fluent in Quark Xpress, FrameMaker and PageMaker ME (Middle Eastern version). The latter was the only one that could do right-to-left scripts properly and the biggest PITA. It came with a $540 (in 1997) copy protection dongle. That's  in a drawer just to my right.

Mandarin? I don't need to speak Mandarin. That's what poor dubbing of "Kung Fu" movies is for. They even had to dub Bruce Lee as he only spoke English and Cantonese. And there you go—one degree of separation from the most amazing athlete I've ever seen.  O_O

Terry Bowman, KA4HJH
"The Mac Doctor"

"I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhäuser Gate.

"All those moments will be lost in time like tears in the rain."— Roy Batty, Blade Runner

Mac Doktor

Jun 27, 2024, 3:18:08 PM (2 days ago) Jun 27
to neonixie-l
I just received mine. According to Google Translate, the character is "分" ("Fēn") which translates as "point".

Terry Bowman, KA4HJH
"The Mac Doctor"

"If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes."—Roy Batty, Blade Runner

Oscilloclock

Jun 28, 2024, 6:20:36 AM (yesterday) Jun 28
to neonixie-l
Hi Terry, 分 means “minute” in Japanese, and very likely the same in Chinese.

Mac Doktor

Jun 28, 2024, 12:37:02 PM (yesterday) Jun 28
to neonixie-l

On Jun 28, 2024, at 6:20 AM, Oscilloclock <in...@oscilloclock.com> wrote:

Hi Terry, 分 means “minute” in Japanese, and very likely the same in Chinese.

Thank you for that. Obviously someone's translation is flawed.

Now all we need are hours and seconds...

Terry Bowman, KA4HJH
"The Mac Doctor"

Zac Huang

Jun 28, 2024, 2:13:18 PM (yesterday) Jun 28
to neonixie-l
The hour and second you need. 時 is traditional Chinese characters, means “hour”.
微信图片_20240629020830.jpg

Nick Andrews

Jun 28, 2024, 2:31:40 PM (yesterday) Jun 28
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Izza the Chinese character for 'soup'?