NIB B-7094 Nixie tubes for sale

Jens Boos

Sep 21, 2022, 10:13:12 AM9/21/22
to neonixie-l
Dear group,

Some years ago I acquired several B-7094 Nixie tubes, new in original box. Some of them work, some of them have limited functionality. The original YouTube video is still online here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp4inccwgIQ , but the tubes are now with me. As far as I know, these have never surfaced on Ebay in a comparable condition, for as long as I can remember.

I am thinking of selling one or two of these tubes. To anybody who is interested, please contact me with a serious offer :)

Best wishes
Jens

Jens Boos

Sep 21, 2022, 10:50:12 AM9/21/22
to neonixie-l
This is rich---of course I was talking about the B-7011 tubes. Jens

Jens Boos <webm...@jb-electronics.de> hat am 21.09.2022 16:13 CEST geschrieben:

Nick Andrews

Sep 21, 2022, 11:14:17 AM9/21/22
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Pretty cool tubes!  Not sure about the comment about the sockets not being good for inserting and removing tubes.  These are used for PMTs all the time and I've not seen any problems yet plugging and unplugging tubes from bases.

Nicholas Stock

Sep 21, 2022, 11:33:34 AM9/21/22
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Those are some really special tubes Jens. I presume they're not Hg doped due to their age so you'd want to minimize usage?

Jens Boos

Sep 21, 2022, 11:50:05 AM9/21/22
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Yes, no Hg in those ones, a strong orange glow without purple haze. Jens
Nicholas Stock <nick...@gmail.com> hat am 21.09.2022 17:33 CEST geschrieben:

Jens Boos

Sep 21, 2022, 11:51:17 AM9/21/22
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I had no issues with the sockets at all. Since these tubes have a separate base with pins that are not directly connected to the glass there is no reason to worry. I just rock them back and forth a bit, and they come out easily enough. Jens
Nick Andrews <nickja...@gmail.com> hat am 21.09.2022 17:13 CEST geschrieben:
Message has been deleted

Peter Doroba

Sep 22, 2022, 6:22:46 AM9/22/22
to neonixie-l
Have you investigated the cause of the faults on the faulty tubes? If they appear to be okay through the glass maybe the fault is within the bakelite socket of the tube. I've repaired a couple of old tubes that had broken wires between the tube and pins due to the bakelite socket coming free from the tube glass. I've also repaired a dekatron tube that had the indexing lug break off by modeling the base in fusion360 and printing a replacement on a resin printer. I then used UV glue to put it all back together again. After soldering the wires to the pins of course. ;-)

Jens Boos

Sep 22, 2022, 11:00:50 AM9/22/22
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
This is the first time I am offering these for sale. It would be interesting to figure out the reason for the defects. The glass and internals look OK, but I am not sure how to remove the glass tubes from the bakelite socket without damaging them. Any suggestions?

Offers via direct message, please.

Best wishes
Jens
'bogdan paduraru' via neonixie-l <neoni...@googlegroups.com> hat am 21.09.2022 18:16 CEST geschrieben:

Jens
I know that these were listed on Quaka this year , but due to some specific constellation , until my friend who live in Germany and could helped with the purchase of the set , could go to the location of the seller  , they have been removed (I don't know if you have bought them or you are the seller )

Please let me know if you can provide with some price per piece or you could accept some trades (I have a number of JAN 8423 NIBs )

Thank you in advance

Bogdan

Audrey

Sep 22, 2022, 11:04:22 AM9/22/22
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Acetone around the base maybe? (Bakelite and acetone dont react, right?)

Peter Doroba

Sep 22, 2022, 12:33:00 PM9/22/22
to neonixie-l
Tubes that I've repaired had already begun separating from the glass envelope so I haven't had to deal with breaking the adhesive bond. To separate the bakelite from the glass would require some research. The wires are actually inside the pins. The pins are actually hollow and filled with solder to hold the wire inside the pin. The tips are then generally filed smooth making the pin appear solid. The easiest method I've found is to use a suction iron to remove the solder from the pins. When reinstalling the base you'll likely need to lengthen the wires using old through hole resistor wire clippings. After lengthening the wires make sure to place shrink tube over the joint between the wire and the wire clippings. It will help prevent them from separating when you re-solder the wires to the pins by refilling the pins with solder. Here's a video showing the general procedure.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j71h_WJ_l5s