Gloat and request

artg...@gmail.com

Jul 24, 2022, 8:53:05 AM7/24/22
to neonixie-l

I recently acquired the below beauty. It's an AVO DA114 (I do have most of the case but the inside is more photogenic). The tubes are labelled ITT but I can't see the actual number easily. Nothing exceptional though.

What I do need - if it's not too far off topic - is a new switch. It uses those modular ones common in radios and testgear of the era, where some parts are independent and others are linked into banks.  I can doubtless find something on ebay but I'm struggling for the moment : not sure what to search for. Terms like 'modular pushbutton' don't give me any matches.

Anybody know of a source ? I only need a simple DPDT independent latching module, the power switch.
IMG_20220724_133505202.jpg

J Forbes

Jul 24, 2022, 9:36:17 AM7/24/22
to neonixie-l
I spent only a little time looking. This is the type of thing you're looking for?

I don't suggest buying this one, but it might lead you to what you want?

Adrian Godwin

Jul 24, 2022, 10:55:30 AM7/24/22
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, yes it is the right sort of thing (I actually need some with PCB spills on both sides, though that isn't obvious from my photo). Oddly, ebay seems to find similar ones but I can't see anything unique in the name that specifies the form.

J Forbes

Jul 24, 2022, 5:15:02 PM7/24/22
to neonixie-l
yeah, weird.

another lead,  however flimsy.

gregebert

Jul 25, 2022, 6:00:40 PM7/25/22
to neonixie-l
Nice find. How much of the DMM seems to be working ?

Adrian Godwin

Jul 25, 2022, 7:21:30 PM7/25/22
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jul 25, 2022 at 11:00 PM gregebert <greg...@hotmail.com> wrote:
Nice find. How much of the DMM seems to be working ?

It seems pretty good except for the batteries and some mechanical  parts around the stand. It's reading OK on DCV and ohms, haven't gone through all of it.
Someone on eevblog has found me some essentials from the manual

It was a bit expensive (I prefer parts-only units and their prices!) but I'd seen a digital AVO (not the LCD ones) years ago and never seen another so ..

gregebert

Jul 26, 2022, 11:16:24 AM7/26/22
to neonixie-l
I know the feeling....I was at a local surplus shop a few years ago and spotted an HP frequency counter with nixies. I didn't need it, but I bought it anyways and I do use it occasionally. One of the few times I bought something on impulse.

Mark Moulding

Jul 27, 2022, 3:44:08 PM7/27/22
to neonixie-l
If that's the same one I have (HP 5326A/B, circa 1972), it's actually a very good instrument.  Mine agrees with my Fluke 6011A signal generator (with high-precision option) out to +/- 2 counts in the last digit at 1 MHz, and I haven't calibrated it in the 30 years I've owned it.  50 years old, with that kind of accuracy, is pretty incredible to me!  HP built really good equipment in those days.
~~
Mark Moulding

gregebert

Jul 28, 2022, 12:42:55 AM7/28/22
to neonixie-l
Close...HP5245L with a 500Mhz prescaler plugin. Checked it with my GMRS radio and it was spot-on with a channel near 462Mhz. I just need to replace the noisy fan.