IN-18 What is between Pins 1 and 8?

Larry Willson

Jun 14, 2022, 10:15:13 PM6/14/22
to neonixie-l
I recently got some IN-18 nixies and noticed an internal coil/wire between pins 1 and 8. What is it?
In one of my tubes the wire has come disconnected and loose inside the tube shorting digits together.
Thanks

Paul Andrews

Jun 15, 2022, 10:43:59 AM6/15/22
to neonixie-l
It is a capsule that contained mercury. It was heated up when the tube was manufactured to release the mercury. The addition of mercury to the tubes vastly extends their lifetime.

Larry

Jun 15, 2022, 11:05:09 AM6/15/22
to neonixie-l
Thank you to everyone that responded with the answer. Never would have guessed this. To follow up; is it common for the capsule and wire to come loose and float inside the tube? Depending on where the wire rests it shorts digits together.

gregebert

Jun 16, 2022, 1:54:19 AM6/16/22
to neonixie-l
Unlikely. I have fourteen IN-18's in my kitchen clock, and none has failed. These are extraordinary tubes that look great and last a long time.