NIMO...

Nicholas Stock

Sep 21, 2022, 6:01:36 PM9/21/22
to 'Greg P' via neonixie-l
Were these ever a thing?

image.png

Nicholas Stock

Sep 21, 2022, 6:02:23 PM9/21/22
to 'Greg P' via neonixie-l

gregebert

Sep 21, 2022, 6:37:30 PM9/21/22
to neonixie-l
There was another twist on the NIMO tube that used an external deflection yoke to show multiple digits on a single line; I believe it 4 or 6 digits.
Never saw this 8x8 tube before; that must be one RARE device.
In order for a NIMO tube to display multiple lines of multiple characters (like a CRT), it would need a deflection yoke for X and Y direction.

I feel sad for the folks at IEE who put so much time and effort into the NIMO tube. It's technologically clever, but a colossal execution and marketing failure; it missed the market window by about 10 years.

gregebert

Sep 21, 2022, 6:38:38 PM9/21/22
to neonixie-l
Heh-heh....I would gladly by a dozen at that price....

Richard Scales

Sep 22, 2022, 12:55:28 AM9/22/22
to neonixie-l
There is a single unit on the bay right now in the UK.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115535226656
Not my auction etc.
- Richard

Richard Scales

Sep 22, 2022, 12:56:29 AM9/22/22
to neonixie-l
So sorry - the unit on the bay is the 'regular' single digit type NIMO tube.
- Richard

gregebert

Sep 22, 2022, 1:51:23 AM9/22/22
to neonixie-l
Alas, I was quickly outbid, and there's another week to go.
The last time I saw a pair of NIMOs up for auction, the untested pair went for over 600 USD.

 Coincidentally, there is going to be a LOT of activity on my bench for the next 2 weeks with these 6-tube NIMO clock board sets, and I will post updates from mission control. There is 1 final wet dress rehearsal this weekend, and the countdown is on to fire-up 6 tubes.

IMG_0420.JPG

Duncan Townsend

Sep 23, 2022, 6:18:21 PM9/23/22
to neonixie-l
Not a NIMO-brand tube, but there's a soon-to-end Telefunken XM1000 on
eBay. https://www.ebay.de/itm/265885293184 (not my auction, no relation,
etc.)

--Duncan