FS: 5 NOS 5870

John

Aug 8, 2022, 12:09:05 PM8/8/22
to neonixie-l
I have 5 NOS JRC branded B-5870 nixies for sale.  I am asking $100 postpaid in US.  Price is a guess as I can't find reference pricing.  Let me know if I'm out of the park.

I have verified each tube lights, and though I have not tested every digit, they all functioned in my brief tests.

Each comes with the mounting collar/standoff.

Pictures upon request as I don't know the list preference on image attachments.

Rgds and thanks for the bandwidth,
John

David Forbes

Aug 8, 2022, 9:59:05 PM8/8/22
to NeoNixie
John,
I'd love to see a photo of those tubes. I've been through thousands of 5870 tubes, but I've never seen a JRC tube.

Max DN

Aug 19, 2022, 6:19:42 PM8/19/22
to neonixie-l
David,

see attached a picture of the B-5870 by JRC.

John had sent it to me as I was looking to purchase the Nixies, but shipping cost + import charges from the US to the UK would make them expensive for me (I use them for my nixie watch hobby).

Regards,
Max

B5870 JRC.jpg

David Forbes

Aug 20, 2022, 2:25:55 PM8/20/22
to NeoNixie
Max,
Thanks for the photo. These JRC tubes look very similar to Japanese Burroughs B-5870 tubes. It's likely they were made in the same factory, but I don't know whose factory it was.

Charles MacDonald

Aug 20, 2022, 8:15:08 PM8/20/22
to neoni...@googlegroups.com, David Forbes
On 2022-08-20 14:25, David Forbes wrote:
> Max,
> Thanks for the photo. These JRC tubes look very similar to Japanese
> Burroughs B-5870 tubes. It's likely they were made in the same factory,
> but I don't know whose factory it was.

JRC? (Japan Radio Company)

--
Charles MacDonald VA3CPY Stittsville Ontario
cm...@zeusprune.ca Just Beyond the Fringe

David Forbes

Aug 21, 2022, 12:32:58 AM8/21/22
to Charles MacDonald, NeoNixie
Yes, JRC is Japan Radio. But did they have a Nixie tube factory, or did they print their name on tubes made by another company? These tubes were made using rather sophisticated methods, and the tooling would be rather unique.
Did JRC make Nixie tubes? Did Burroughs make Nixie tubes in Japan?
(I just popped the back off a c.1960 five tube radio made by Monarch in Japan, and it is full of Matsushita tubes.)
It's an interesting question.

Paul Andrews

Aug 22, 2022, 9:46:17 AM8/22/22
to neonixie-l
I doubt that Burroughs had a factory in Japan. I suspect that they were made in Japan for Burroughs. I also suspect that the same tubes were made for other companies and badged for them.

Dekatron42

Aug 22, 2022, 10:54:00 AM8/22/22
to neonixie-l
Burroughs did at least own one factory in Japan according to this link: https://www.computerwoche.de/a/burroughs-will-in-japan-produzieren,1200932 however it doesn't say if it produced Nixies.

Google translate for the link:

TOKYO - Burroughs Corp.'s Japanese sales company, Takachiho Burroughs Co, has acquired Takachiho Koeki Co's Gotemba plant, which manufactures minicomputers, POS terminals and DV accessories. The distribution of the devices had previously largely gone through Takachiho Burroughs. At the end of 1975, Burroughs had increased its stake in the Japanese sales company from 50 to 95 percent - since then its partner Takachiho Koeki Co has only held 5 percent of the shares. The Japanese Ministry of Trade and Industry (MITI) has approved the sale of the plant and Burroughs production plans.

The same information about a Burroughs factory in Japan can be found here: http://www.burroughsinfo.com/manufacturing-locations.html

/Martin