Device with 28 nixies

newxito

Jul 17, 2024, 7:52:17 AM (4 days ago) Jul 17
to neonixie-l
We recently had a photovoltaic system installed. I thought it would be fun to build a nixie device to monitor the real-time power flow.
CheatSheet.jpg

SolMon.jpg

Adrian Godwin

Jul 17, 2024, 8:05:43 AM (4 days ago) Jul 17
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

Great ! Clocks are nice and all  but it's good to see something different

On Wed, 17 Jul 2024, 12:52 newxito, <axt...@gmail.com> wrote:
We recently had a photovoltaic system installed. I thought it would be fun to build a nixie device to monitor the real-time power flow.
CheatSheet.jpg

Peter Hall

Jul 17, 2024, 8:06:51 AM (4 days ago) Jul 17
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Luv it.. Brilliant 👍

From🚨Peter Hall😁 insidiousnixies🦘Utube

On 17 July 2024 7:52 pm, newxito <axt...@gmail.com> wrote:
We recently had a photovoltaic system installed. I thought it would be fun to build a nixie device to monitor the real-time power flow.
CheatSheet.jpg

Nick Andrews

Jul 17, 2024, 11:18:46 AM (4 days ago) Jul 17
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

Mac Doktor

Jul 17, 2024, 12:57:00 PM (4 days ago) Jul 17
to neonixie-l

On Jul 17, 2024, at 7:52 AM, newxito <axt...@gmail.com> wrote:

We recently had a photovoltaic system installed. I thought it would be fun to build a nixie device to monitor the real-time power flow.

Nice. I take it that the decimal points in IN-12Bs are too small to see at a distance.

Terry Bowman, KA4HJH
"The Mac Doctor"

"If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes."—Roy Batty, Blade Runner

Nicholas Stock

Jul 17, 2024, 1:01:41 PM (4 days ago) Jul 17
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
What a great idea! I presume you're using an API from your solar vendor to get the info? Looks so much more interesting than a phone app to monitor production/battery etc, not that I dislike mine, but using nixies is always better...!! Any animations to prevent cathode poisoning?

newxito

Jul 17, 2024, 4:19:29 PM (3 days ago) Jul 17
to neonixie-l
Thanks for the nice comments!

IN-12B: I don’t have many of them, so I’m using my IN-12A stock.

API: yes, I use the inverter’s direct access API. It consists of simple HTTP GET requests and JSON responses. For security reasons, I have set up a separate VLAN for the inverter. Since there is no Wi-Fi access point on that VLAN, this is my first nixie device with an ethernet port.

Animations: yes, my first idea was to wire only the symbols I needed but eventually I decided to wire them all to be able to prevent cathode poisoning.

I have implemented a 4-color backlight mode with a range rating for each value (poor, fair, good and excellent). I added a much simpler two-color mode (green or red for all nixies) because the first reaction I got was: “Nice, lots of numbers and colors but what does it all mean?”  So, now, if this thing lights up green, everyone is happy :-)
SolMon3.jpg

Roman Hoffmann

Jul 19, 2024, 5:28:13 AM (2 days ago) Jul 19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

nice! What kind of inverters are you using? I'm thinking of making a PV display like this for my fronius inverters.

newxito

Jul 19, 2024, 7:16:46 AM (2 days ago) Jul 19
to neonixie-l
I'm using the GetPowerFlowRealtimeData request from the fronius inverter solar api. We just have one, I don't know if this request works over multiple inverters.