what is that CRT-like tube?

Marcin Adamski

Jun 3, 2022, 11:07:50 PM6/3/22
to neonixie-l
Hi Guys,

this CRT-style was recently sold on Ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/115400617434 (I was not the seller nor the
buyer). I have never seen anything like this before. It seems to have 3
separate guns (RGB?) but the number of pins in the base suggests almost
no control over the beams. And what is the wine bottle style topend? I
am totally bamboozled.

Cheers,
Marcin

Alex

Jun 4, 2022, 4:57:25 AM6/4/22
to neonixie-l
My vote is that this is not designed as a display device, the business end looks like it has ceramic donuts around it, possibly for heat dissipation, so it could a source device (high freq signal / microwave). Could be a Beryllium window at the end so could even be an X-Ray emitter but the rest of the design does not really fit for that.

It is possibly / quite likely the more i ponder that it is a scintillation window on the end and the tube itself a photomultiplier for detecting radiation, they have a similar form factor to that, in which case that was a superb price.

Looks expensive either way, but a good price on there, though if its full of hazardous materials (Beryllium) then thats a concern...

Nice find.

Marcin Adamski

Jun 5, 2022, 12:31:07 AM6/5/22
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
x-ray tube was my initial thought too - the first 2 pics. But the 3-rd and 4-th pic show how long this tube is. Plus the 3 'guns': They really look like electron guns, with Wehnelt and focusing. Have you seen cathodes like this on x-ray tube? And three of them? I don't think it could be a photomultiplier either.
For now, I put it under 'weird contraption, likely experimental'.

Thanks everybody for contributing!
Marcin

Dekatron42

Jun 5, 2022, 9:07:44 AM6/5/22
to neonixie-l
My first thought was that it could have been use for electron microscopy, either as the main beam or as an extra beam used for projecting text onto the screen you see the object in where you also can see magnification and voltages/currents and also onto the hard copy film.

I got to know a gentleman who worked in the physics department at a university here in Sweden as I bought some Nixies and Dekatron counters from him and he told me that they even used rows of Nixies that had their digits displayed onto the screen and the photographic film via a complicated setup of lenses in one of the electron microscopes that he used while working there. Now he works with scrap metal and dismantles and sells old electron microscopes either for their scrap or as whole working units, he sells a lot of other instruments and gears from physics departments all over the country and in some European countries.

/Martin