Unique Nixie project with IN-7X family!

Nick Brown

May 7, 2024, 1:48:17 AMMay 7
to neonixie-l
Sometime in late 2022, my brain decided that it wanted to make a Nixie-glow night light that uses cheaper symbol tubes for my daughter and nephew (3 yo). I had a bunch of Nixies I had obtained recently, and more specifically a lot of IN-7s, IN-7As, and IN-7Bs. My initial idea was some simple device to just gently flash random symbols in nice patterns. I looked around for existing projects I could tailor to my needs.

However, during this process I had an epiphany when I was testing my IN-7 tubes. If I rotated the 'm' symbol on an IN-7, I could get an epsilon(ε)-looking 'e'. Also, the '+' symbol could be a simple 't' and I could spell my nephew's name "εmmε++". Nice! Wait, my daughter's name is six characters too, what if...

299883405-243bab7f-05ea-454b-98be-dd6fbc3197f3.png

Anyway, I am happy to share my hopefully mostly original idea for a Nixie device, named after my daughter and nephew:
https://github.com/nonik0/Stemmett-Nixie-Device

Would love to hear any thoughts and input! It's my first completely homebrew project with the PCB design, component choices, etc. My feelings won't be hurt if there's a flaw you see! I really need to make a case for these because I built the hardware over a year ago. 😬

newxito

May 7, 2024, 3:04:06 AMMay 7
to neonixie-l
Great idea, very nice!

Nicholas Stock

May 7, 2024, 3:58:06 PMMay 7
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Very inventive, nice use of the symbol nixies. The animations look cool. Well done.

Cheers,

Nick

Sent from my iPhone

On May 7, 2024, at 00:04, newxito <axt...@gmail.com> wrote:

Great idea, very nice!

Xavier Burton

May 7, 2024, 5:30:48 PMMay 7
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
That is awesome! I've had an obsession with tube clocks since 2018, and finally designed and built one this last week. It's nice seeing other beginner designs.