nixiechron issue (was Nixiechrom woes)

Alex Rubli

Jul 14, 2022, 12:32:52 PM7/14/22
to neonixie-l
my suggestion is to check that the new GPS puck  be set to issue the $GPRMC sentence, and 4800 baud, 8 bits, no parity. factory defaults issue a much more long $sentence... hope this helps

Alex

Terry S

Jul 14, 2022, 11:00:33 PM7/14/22
to neonixie-l
Yeah that would be great if I had a way to talk to the puck. PCs don't have serial ports any more.

J Forbes

Jul 15, 2022, 9:02:25 AM7/15/22
to neonixie-l
USB to serial port adapters exist. Some of them actually work, so check reviews before getting one.

Alex Rubli

Jul 15, 2022, 12:29:33 PM7/15/22
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
well finding a usb-serial adapter is the easy thing, in case you find out that the output is not the $GPRMC sentence, you will need a program in order to change it
(and of course the speed)

I guess it’s called SIRF, don’t remember

there is an old thread, hope this helps:

Regards

Alex

Christian Riise Wagner

Jul 15, 2022, 5:44:27 PM7/15/22
to neonixie-l
If you happen to have an Arduino board laying around, you can use that as a USB-serial adapter as well. Just tie the reset pin to ground.

Terry S

Jul 16, 2022, 11:17:08 PM7/16/22
to neonixie-l
Thanks for the ideas. It is working right now -- although I believe that getting to output string right would be better.

I do have Arduinos around and I could explore that path.

I have not had any luck getting my WWVB clock working yet..... and that one has the big Z568M tubes.