CD27 Loose Base

alex nolan

Jun 17, 2024, 8:56:35 PM (12 days ago) Jun 17
to neonixie-l
I recently found a few CD27 that work, but the glass tube seems to be loose in the black plastic base that contains the pins. Does anyone have any tips for how to secure the two pieces together? I don't want to risk damaging the tube with something that would generate heat or other stress on the glass.

Would some sort of epoxy work? Or perhaps a silicone based glue?

Paul Andrews

Jun 18, 2024, 10:31:28 AM (11 days ago) Jun 18
to neonixie-l
I had a very sad shipment of these tubes a few years ago. The box rattled when I got it and yes, there were some smashed tubes in there when I opened it. Amazingly most were intact. Anyway, I took the opportunity to see if I could dislodge the glass tube from the base, but the cement they used is rock hard. I even tried drilling through the plastic, but it is very hard.

Personally I would start with something soft, e.g. the silicone glue you suggest, and see if that is sufficient. I certainly wouldn't try forcing anything down between the base and the tube. I suspect that it wouldn't really be enough though. Superglue would probably be better but it might disfigure the plastic. If you decide to go this route I would try a dab of the glue on the back of the base where it can't be seen.

Paul Andrews

Jun 18, 2024, 10:35:26 AM (11 days ago) Jun 18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
This is the CD27 that was smashed
image0.jpeg

On Jun 18, 2024, at 10:31 AM, Paul Andrews <pa...@nixies.us> wrote:

I had a very sad shipment of these tubes a few years ago. The box rattled when I got it and yes, there were some smashed tubes in there when I opened it. Amazingly most were intact. Anyway, I took the opportunity to see if I could dislodge the glass tube from the base, but the cement they used is rock hard. I even tried drilling through the plastic, but it is very hard.

theold...@gmail.com

Jun 22, 2024, 7:49:01 AM (7 days ago) Jun 22
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

Have used regular super glue on several radio tubes with loose bases. The glue soaks in between the base and glass, and never failed since.

Bill v.

Mac Doktor

Jun 22, 2024, 1:49:28 PM (7 days ago) Jun 22
to neonixie-l

On Jun 19, 2024, at 1:02 PM, <theold...@gmail.com> <theold...@gmail.com> wrote:

Have used regular super glue on several radio tubes with loose bases. The glue soaks in between the base and glass, and never failed since.

Caution. The fumes from curing cyanoacrylate turn skin oil into a hard, white substance. Any fingerprints on the glass or base may become permanent. I've seen it happen.

Terry Bowman, KA4HJH
"The Mac Doctor”

https://www.astarcloseup.com

"Never install version point-zero of anything"

Dekatron42

Jun 22, 2024, 2:47:06 PM (7 days ago) Jun 22
to neonixie-l
Googling "repairing vacuum tube bases glue" will show a few different methods in repairing a vacuum tube when the glass has come loose from the base. Which method you should use depends on what outcome you are looking for, like original if you want it to be authentic looking, or a proper repair taking into account glass and base material expansion when heated (Nixie Tubes get a little bit hot and especially these bigger tubes consume some power).

There are even some slits cut in these sockets which have been described as expansion slits in some datasheets - so maybe these tubes are only glued in one or two places on only a few of the portions where the slits are, I haven't really checked, but you can have a good look before trying any repairs so you get it right.

You could also try checking with people at the TCA (Tube collectors Association) if they know the proper way for these Nixies to be re-glued.

/Martin