7971 Burroughs question

SD

May 16, 2022, 5:02:23 PM5/16/22
to neonixie-l
Hello
I was referred to this mail list, thank you
I am sitting on for years a 7971 that I want to use/adapt but cannot find any sockets from ebay that are not very expensive. I do not want to permanently solder to a perfboard, etc.  these things are super pricey now.
any help appreciated

thanks
scott

liam bartosiewicz

May 16, 2022, 9:32:06 PM5/16/22
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
The socket type is SK-137, and if you can’t find any NOS ones, you can always make your own using tube socket pins, like this: eBay item #403434590507

Paul Andrews

May 17, 2022, 1:47:21 PM5/17/22
to neonixie-l
This is one I made a while back. It uses the tube socket pins that LB(?) referred to. I see it isn't very well labelled, in terms of what value of resistors to use, and it uses surface mount resistors. Anyway, there it is. https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/G9c1wPoq

Richard Scales

Jun 3, 2022, 10:57:14 PM6/3/22
to neonixie-l
I have sockets for these. There are also 'smart sockets' which include a PIC microcontroller which does all the 'heavy lifting' making it very easy to drive.
I also have a design for a single tube clock which incorporates a 'smart socket'.
- Richard

Scott Duncan

Jun 28, 2022, 4:42:23 PM6/28/22
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the info.  What are the pin dimensions/diameter?  I tried some pins i had from other projects but the Burroughs’ are too large to fit.

Thanks
Scott

On Jun 3, 2022, at 10:57 PM, Richard Scales <ric...@scalesweb.co.uk> wrote:

I have sockets for these. There are also 'smart sockets' which include a PIC microcontroller which does all the 'heavy lifting' making it very easy to drive.

gregebert

Jun 28, 2022, 11:11:55 PM6/28/22
to neonixie-l

Scott Duncan

Jun 29, 2022, 12:43:26 AM6/29/22
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I should have guessed, thanks very much.  Now, if I could only move these projects beyond glacial pace….