SP-252 Multi Segment Panaplex Display based Clock

Richard Scales

Jul 6, 2024, 12:53:24 AMJul 6
to neonixie-l
This might be considered overkill but I have completed a clock which uses the B-7971 Smart Socket design to control six SP-252 displays giving 12 digits on which time is displayed along with date, temp, pressure and 10 different scrolling text messages (each of 70 characters in length).

The clock consists of a backplane, the smart socket boards (twelve of them, two per display) and display holding boards.

The software now has a web gui which provides access to all the settings as well as the user definable text messages. Many thanks to Paul Andrews for helping with this.

An optional PIR device will wake the displays from sleeping whenever it is activated and the whole thing is held together within my regular (one trick pony!) acrylic case design.

Although it is not clear in the pictures, there are two individual smart socket PCBs per display, one on top and one underneath. After the initial test build I elected to have the smart socket PCBs pre-fabbed, they are double sided and each one has 30 x 0603 resistors and 15 x MMBTA42 transistors.

RNpic.jpg

SP-252Pic1.jpgSP-252Pic2.jpg

Why have just one micro in a clock when you can have 13!

 - Richard

Peter Hall

Jul 6, 2024, 1:09:04 AMJul 6
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Absolutely brilliant.luv it.. I'm Jealous as usual👀

From🚨Peter Hall😁 insidiousnixies🦘Utube

Robert

Jul 6, 2024, 11:12:01 AMJul 6
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I have this clock and it’s very nice

Rob

Jeff Walton

Jul 9, 2024, 3:49:38 AM (12 days ago) Jul 9
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Richard is the evangelist of the neon beauty of all things panaplex!  The smart socket approach takes his clock creations to a new level.  It's too bad that there are so few panaplex displays to be found in the wild.  I have a few of Richard's creations and appreciate them more all the time.

Jeff

Benoit Tourret

Jul 9, 2024, 10:07:01 AM (12 days ago) Jul 9
to neonixie-l
Richard, one day you will have to work with multiplexed devices !!
It is not a shame, this has been used on a lot of devices and is even mandatory for many devices... ;-)

Imagine what could you make with those:

20240709_155550.jpg

Regards,
Benoit.

Nicholas Stock

Jul 9, 2024, 9:53:36 PM (11 days ago) Jul 9
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Or these!!

image.png

Of which I have quite a few... :)

Richard Scales

Jul 10, 2024, 12:05:05 AM (11 days ago) Jul 10
to neonixie-l
Multiplexing is on my radar - a nettle that I need to grasp - something for the coming winter perhaps - although looking outside right now at the 'British Summer' it seems that winter may already be here!

I am extremely fortunate to have hands on various samples of these multiplexed displays, I just need to make the time - to make time!

Naturally - when I do crack it - I will let you all know.

 - Richard

leo oel

Jul 10, 2024, 4:46:07 AM (11 days ago) Jul 10
to neonixie-l

Hi, perhaps you are selling, what is the price of such a display?
Thank you
среда, 10 июля 2024 г. в 04:53:36 UTC+3, Nicholas Stock:

Keith Moore

Jul 10, 2024, 8:43:30 AM (11 days ago) Jul 10
to neonixie-l
Richard,
That is really swell!