Seriously? This is out of control on ebay

Nick Andrews

May 18, 2023, 10:34:41 AM5/18/23
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

RikD

May 18, 2023, 11:20:07 AM5/18/23
to neonixie-l

Nick Andrews

May 18, 2023, 11:23:21 AM5/18/23
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
At least it's cheap if you wanted to play with trying repairs!  But yeah.

Nicholas Stock

May 18, 2023, 3:55:54 PM5/18/23
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

martin martin

May 18, 2023, 6:38:40 PM5/18/23
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

Ian Vine

May 19, 2023, 6:27:46 AM5/19/23
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Well, it is working 😂

Robert G. Schaffrath

May 19, 2023, 7:42:00 AM5/19/23
to neonixie-l
If this sells then I have a defective B7971 I would put up too. At least mine still lights up. A few segments do not work but at least it does not have a hole in the glass LOL.

SD

May 19, 2023, 1:26:27 PM5/19/23
to neonixie-l
haha, I ordered an IV-17 clock kit from them before.   they have some bizarre items

Mac Doktor

May 19, 2023, 2:13:02 PM5/19/23
to neonixie-l

On May 19, 2023, at 1:26 PM, SD <scd...@gmail.com> wrote:

haha, I ordered an IV-17 clock kit from them before.

I got their first offering, an "IV17/IV4 Nixie Tube Explorer Kit by Chris Barron". It didn't include tubes but I had some IV-4s and the board was already stuffed. They sent it to the wrong address and that person didn't feel like sending it back. At least that was the story I was told.

Terry Bowman, KA4HJH
"The Mac Doctor"

https://www.astarcloseup.com

"Damn, damn, damn, DAMN!"—Professor Henry HIggins, My Fair Lady

Audrey

May 19, 2023, 4:01:23 PM5/19/23
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Did you get your refund, at least?

Nicholas Stock

May 19, 2023, 4:09:09 PM5/19/23
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I've purchased a number of items from this buyer and on the whole they've been excellent. They liquidate estate sale stuff, so sometimes don't know what they've got on their hands and I advise folks not to look at their eBay shop at work if your screen is visible to others, they appear to offer a number of 'adult toys' if you get my drift. If someone relayed that a nixie with a hole in it is essentially worthless, they'd probably throw it away....

Mac Doktor

May 19, 2023, 4:18:46 PM5/19/23
to neonixie-l
On May 19, 2023, at 4:01 PM, Audrey <tntm...@gmail.com> wrote:

Did you get your refund, at least?

Yes, they were totally cool about it. I received the wrong item and didn't have to send it back.

They could have been lying about the situation, of course, but at least I ended up with some extra toys.

On May 19, 2023, at 4:08 PM, Nicholas Stock <nick...@gmail.com> wrote:

I advise folks not to look at their eBay shop at work if your screen is visible to others, they appear to offer a number of 'adult toys' if you get my drift.

Those were the "extra toys" that I ended up with. 8D

Terry Bowman, KA4HJH
"The Mac Doctor"

https://www.astarcloseup.com

"There is no Main Street anymore except at Disneyland—and try and buy a gun there"—Hank Hill

Yohan Park

May 21, 2023, 8:43:52 AM5/21/23
to neonixie-l
I threw away a couple of IN-18 tubes that had broken nipples a few weeks ago. Should have sold them for $25 each...

Audrey

May 21, 2023, 5:03:09 PM5/21/23
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I mean... a broken nipple only sounds repairable by someone getting into neon making

Mac Doktor

May 21, 2023, 7:02:57 PM5/21/23
to neonixie-l

On May 21, 2023, at 5:02 PM, Audrey <tntm...@gmail.com> wrote:

I mean... a broken nipple only sounds repairable by someone getting into neon making

If the cathodes have any chemicals on them to enhance electron emission that will oxidize upon contact with the air. Reprocessing them will require reducing the coatings again.

I went to neon school but I'm not up to this challenge. People who make nixie tubes would know the score.

Terry Bowman, KA4HJH
"The Mac Doctor"

https://www.astarcloseup.com

"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact."—Carl Sagan, Psychology Today, 1996

Audrey

May 21, 2023, 7:20:46 PM5/21/23
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Isnt that usually only the case with vacuum tubes? I think you're thinking of thoriated heaters

Mac Doktor

May 21, 2023, 7:52:13 PM5/21/23
to neonixie-l

On May 21, 2023, at 7:20 PM, Audrey <tntm...@gmail.com> wrote:

Isnt that usually only the case with vacuum tubes? I think you're thinking of thoriated heaters

I leave it to someone else to come up with a definitive answer but a neon sign can start cold because the cathodes are coated with the stuff. I can't remember precisely what is used but it's more than just thorium. I'm not sure if they're all elemental but they might be. It's been a very long time.

Part of precessing a new tube is heating the cathodes to reduce the oxidized chemicals back to their "raw" state. If a tube needs to be repaired and the tubing itself can be reused new cathodes will have to be spliced on and the entire assembly re-processed.

Terry Bowman, KA4HJH
"The Mac Doctor"

"I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhäuser Gate.

"All those moments will be lost in time like tears in the rain.

"Time to die"— Roy Batty, Blade Runner

Audrey

May 21, 2023, 8:06:57 PM5/21/23
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Yeah oxidization is definitely a concern