This little beauty arrived today!

Nick Andrews

May 4, 2023, 5:45:37 PM5/4/23
to GeigerC...@groups.io, GeigerCounterE...@groups.io, neoni...@googlegroups.com

I don't have a probe at the office, but the dekatrons come on and spin around.  It's mesmerizing!  They stop when you hit reset, so that's good.  Looks like it has a built-in HV supply up to 1200V.  Also has a Jones 2x3 connector on back for something or other.  Pretty sweet to get 5 US-made dekatrons that appear to work.

Don't suppose anyone might have a manual for this?

Dekatron42

May 4, 2023, 6:32:15 PM5/4/23
to neonixie-l
Are you sure they are US made Dekatrons, I have a few of this model and they have all been equipped with Rodan Dekatrons made in Japan.

The most common failure in this counter is the high voltage electrolytics being poor, high ESR or dried out.

No manual unfortunately but it is a very simple design.

/Martin

Nick Andrews

May 4, 2023, 6:45:14 PM5/4/23
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Okay not sure about US made but I guess I meant to say not Soviet, and theoretically then more reliable.  I'll open it up this weekend and look.  Need to try and figure out the Jones connector, if it's for an external timer or what.

Audrey

May 4, 2023, 7:59:34 PM5/4/23
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Gorgeous machine, love Rodan tubes.

Rob B

May 5, 2023, 4:29:29 AM5/5/23
to neonixie-l
That Jones plug is pretty common. E.g.,

Nick Andrews

May 5, 2023, 9:50:27 AM5/5/23
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Yeah in the smaller sizes they are.  Try getting the big ones used on older Spectra lasers though!

Jon

May 6, 2023, 3:40:52 AM5/6/23
to neonixie-l
> Okay not sure about US made but I guess I meant to say not Soviet, and theoretically then more reliable.

Actually, if it's reliability you want in high speed dekatrons, then the Rodan ones are probably the best going. Much better in my experience than the US (Sylvania, Raytheon) ones. I'd expect this one to have Rodan DK23s in it.

Jon.