lot of 34 B7971s on ebay..

Audrey

Aug 17, 2022, 1:29:46 PM8/17/22
to neonixie-l
not my listing obviously..

Ian Vine

Aug 17, 2022, 2:00:38 PM8/17/22
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

OK $191 per untested tube! Bit hot.

Ian
On Wednesday, 17 August 2022 at 18:29:48 BST, Audrey <tntm...@gmail.com> wrote:

not my listing obviously..

Kevin A.

Aug 17, 2022, 2:05:41 PM8/17/22
to neonixie-l
Yeah who knows, I've seen a few with cracks and outgassed from improper storage.

Nick Andrews

Aug 17, 2022, 2:23:09 PM8/17/22
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Must be someone in CONgress...

Nicholas Stock

Aug 17, 2022, 3:05:02 PM8/17/22
to 'Greg P' via neonixie-l
Let's keep the forum non-political please. It's bad enough out there as it is... :)

Nick (Mod)

Michail Wilson

Aug 17, 2022, 6:30:44 PM8/17/22
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

Quite the number of tubes.

Since he is asking retail for them all, and not likely too many people want or can afford that many, I asked if there was a guarantee since if even 1 could be bad, it would make almost the entire order non-profitable.  Awaiting a response.

Michail

Audrey

Aug 17, 2022, 6:37:15 PM8/17/22
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Yeah. It's silly to sell them all as one lot, and even sillier to not figuring out how to test them for that pricepoint...

J Forbes

Aug 17, 2022, 6:45:50 PM8/17/22
to neonixie-l
Some people like to put all the risk onto the buyer. I tend to not deal with people like that.

Jeff Walton

Aug 17, 2022, 6:48:27 PM8/17/22
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Remembering some older surplus places prior to the internet.

Polypaks was one of them that had a printed flyer or ads in the back of electronics magazines. They often displayed this disclaimer with some of their products,  "... No time to test 'em!"

Of course,  B-7971's were two for $8 with the Ultronics board...    Not $200 each.   😁

Jeff

gregebert

Aug 17, 2022, 7:24:39 PM8/17/22
to neonixie-l
Seller is probably testing the waters to see if anyone take a BIG bite. Next step is to break-up into smaller lots.

Kevin A.

Aug 17, 2022, 8:08:25 PM8/17/22
to neonixie-l
If they were tested and guaranteed that would be one thing, but throwing a bunch of these in a box as-is and charging top dollar probably won't get them moving any time soon...

Robert G. Schaffrath

Aug 18, 2022, 11:37:43 AM8/18/22
to neonixie-l
I see they sold but no idea what the offer was.

I agree that selling them as a lot rather than individually is not that great an idea. I have six NOS, and a seventh used, bubble wrapped and in a box with a detailed note about them for whichever family member stumbles across them someday (assuming I do not get a chance to do anything with them). I advise whomever to investigate selling them individually and that tossing them would be very stupid.

Nick Andrews

Aug 18, 2022, 12:07:59 PM8/18/22
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
After seeing estate sales and ebay stuff, I started an inventory of my Geiger counters, isotope identifiers, other stuff that is worth something on ebay vs thrift store crap.  I got 'permanent' ID labels and printed them with a unique serial number to key to an Excel spreadsheet, and was going to add a photo of the item.  Then, I moved and well, need to start over again.  I mean, ll be dead and not caring any more, but it would be a shame for so much money to be lost for my brothers or nieces...

Nicholas Stock

Aug 18, 2022, 12:11:52 PM8/18/22
to 'Greg P' via neonixie-l
Totally agree Robert, Nick..

My wife is constantly harassing me (slight exaggeration...) to make sure I have a list of items and market prices if I should kick the proverbial....after collecting/selling for a number of years, nixies have accumulated in price a lot....having them and other tubes end up in a landfill would be a huge shame...

Audrey

Aug 18, 2022, 12:23:03 PM8/18/22
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Asset tags aren't a bad idea...

Nick Andrews

Aug 18, 2022, 1:00:15 PM8/18/22
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
One of my best friends kicked it just about 5 years ago.  He built models.  Custom funny car bodies, stuff that never existed, like a Ghostbusters ambulance funny car.  All made to fit the standard Revell chassis model for such.  He made the masters, silicone molds, slush cast them in urethane resin and sold tons of them.  He grew up (whatever that means) in Long Beach in the 60s, so go figure.  But he was also a USAF veteran and history major.  Built a lot of armor pieces, tanks, etc. and also bought small production run kits from guys in eastern Europe and all over.  He had a lot of vintage, old, unusual, rare model kits.  Also a bunch of extras, because he'd buy multiple to cut up, stretch, chop, etc.  He was in southern NM, his brother Hank is up by Portland, sisters in MI and WA, so our close friend who lives in Las Cruces still inventoried the 3700+ model kits.  While he sold the lot for $10k, I guarantee it was worth well north of 4x that.

He was also a diabetic, and the VA sent him regular shipments of a couple different types of insulin, test strips, glucose meters, etc.  You know how the govt is, they'd send duplicate shipments, etc. but never worry about correcting it or whatever so he just stored it cold in case he ever needed it.  I bet he had another $40k of insulin in the fridge.  Unfortunately that went in the landfill because it's prescription medication, blah, blah, blah.  An odd guy but a great friend.  Would show up with beer or burritos, and NEVER said no if asked for help.  Not a typical diabetic, he played tennis and drums and would fight to keep his blood sugar high enough.  I saw him walking around multiple times with glucose levels in the 40s, and still conscious in single digits.  And yeah, we had to call the ambulance more than once when we didn't catch it and make him chug a cola and he passed out.  Which is why a couple of us had keys for his house and yeah we found him passed out on his floor more than once too after he didn't show up somewhere and didn't answer the phone.  Anyway Jim, we miss ya!  Still friends with his brother, who was a Cobra driver in Nam.

But I digress.  The point is, we have quirky hobbies and valuable stuff that should be destined for someone else who cares about it, not the dump.

Nick Andrews

Aug 18, 2022, 1:01:25 PM8/18/22
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Yeah I got the idea from working in highway construction for Kiewit, one of the biggest contractors in these USA, and then buying stuff at university auctions.

Robert G. Schaffrath

Aug 18, 2022, 2:07:21 PM8/18/22
to neonixie-l
It's funny, I have Geiger counters too as well as other interesting hobby things, well to me anyhow, that no one else in the family shares any interest in (ham radio, stamps & coins, electronic tools, classic glass insulators, minerals, etc.). I wish it was possible to have them go to several charities I work with so they could monetarily benefit, instead of disinterested people, but that would be an extremely heavy lift for them. The one bright spot is one of my nephews is entering university in the fall planning to study Nuclear Chemistry. If he does complete that course of study then the Geiger counters and other related items would probably be of interest to him.

Asset tags are an interesting idea. I used to work for a major corporation where we had asset tags on all of our valuable equipment (PC's, monitors, printers, coffee makers, etc.). Meanwhile, as the company was shedding divisions and downsizing people, moral was horrible and people just stopped caring (kind of hard when you do not know if you will have a job the following week). Of course HR always tried different motivational posters including "Employees are our most valuable asset" to try and cheer people up. Several of those posters wound up with messages attached that said "Our most valuable assets have tags on them".

Nick Andrews

Aug 18, 2022, 2:56:39 PM8/18/22
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Heavy lift yeah that applies here too.  The lathe, milling machines and metal shaper are obviously of some worth, and tools.  The dental xray machines are heavy but not completely absurd.  The powder diffraction xray machine is odd, bulky, heavy, etc.  Vacuum pumps, lasers, etc are mostly all smaller and manageable.  In my mind, anyway.  At least there's a rolling gantry crane outside that will lift 2 tons...

Haha, when I was in Denver building E-470 and the NW Parkway, a guy I worked with's father worked at Jolly Rancher.  Well, they knew the plant was closing over a year in advance, and the company actually paid for retraining folks.  But low morale and payouts meant that everything that wasn't bolted down...got lost.  It started small, like rotary hammers, drills, etc.  One guy eventually 'found' a brand new large commercial floor mixer, like for making huge batches of candy, etc.

After I left Denver, my brother worked for this small outfit from Wyoming called Sorrento doing commo design and builds for mostly oil industry.  Distributed networks for the pumping stations and equipment, oil rigs in the gulf.  Remote trailer work, solar powered, etc.  The owners were apparently morons, who couldn't understand moving up to bigger clients and jobs, etc. and actually drove off some clients when they fired one of the main managers who was actually bringing in money.  My brother said they all knew the day they were closing and laying them off, and when the owners came into the building that morning everyone was just sitting at their desks, computers off and already wiped of any data, all personal items already out and loaded in their vehicles, etc.  He said they could've liquidated all sorts of things from there, but felt it was wrong unlike the former story individuals.

The last place I worked at went bankrupt about 2 years after I left.  She was also a horrible manager and alienated employees, clients, and business partners.  The first six years were good, then things changed and she got secretive and greedy and I think had some mental issues (family history).  I stayed there for far too long, and she still owes me money.  If I'd been there to the end and known she was going to hose me, I'd have been sorely tempted to ensure I got something out of the mess.  That 11 year fiasco cost me a good half a million in wages, bonuses, etc I would've gotten somewhere else but stupid me, I thought I could trust them to do the right thing.  NEVER go to work for friends!  Lost my best friend from high school because of his stupid wife.  Gained other friends though.  Sorry to rant, but it still pisses me off 5.5 years later!

On the other hand, I just made a deal for a few dekatrons, so...  Never played with one before, just thought they were cool.

artg...@gmail.com

Aug 18, 2022, 8:09:17 PM8/18/22
to neonixie-l
I'd agree that the large ebay lot seems less than ideal. But if you have a small number - enough for a working display - and they're all in similar condition, I think most people with plans for them would want the set. An individual one is fine for a collection but if I were building something I'd rather not collect a group from here, there and everywhere.

Audrey

Aug 18, 2022, 8:13:13 PM8/18/22
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Normally yea a lot of 4 instead of only 1 is more convenient for that but itd be a listing where you could just set the quantity to 4 or 6 or 8 or 34 :)