GeoVoCamp on Linked Spatiotemporal Data and Geo-Ontologies (February 4-5, 2012 at UCSB)

Krzysztof Janowicz

Nov 29, 2011, 3:49:29 PM11/29/11
to neogeo-semant...@googlegroups.com, ja...@geog.ucsb.edu
Dear all,

we have fixed the dates and the location for the GeoVoCamp on Linked
Spatiotemporal Data and Geo-Ontologies. The GeoVocamp will take place
3-5 February 2012. To ensure that the meeting is productive and we get
some real outcomes we hope that you can stay Saturday and Sunday (4-5
February). We will start Friday 2pm with an informal get-together and
discussions for those of you who arrive on Thursday or Friday and will
kick-off the GeoVoCamp Saturday 9am. We will close the event Sunday 5pm.

We booked a main room (McCune Conference Room) and two smaller
conference rooms (Crowell Reading Room and IHC Research Seminar Room)
for breakout sessions for the 4-5 February. The Vocamp will take place
at the Interdisciplinary Humanities Center 6046 HSSB. UC Santa Barbara,
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-7100 which is 5 minutes walking distance from
the Ocean as well as the UCen food court. The meeting on Friday the 3rd
will take place at Ellison Hall, which is also located on the UCSB campus.

We also added another domain to the event. In addition to discussing
geo-ontology design patterns for micro-scale features such as POI and
meso-scale features such as mountains or rivers, thanks to Karl Grossner
we will include the temporal component as well (e.g., for heritage data
and historical GIS). We hope to develop at least on pattern for each of
these 3 themes during the VoCamp.

The team of organizers will also create a template to document the
patterns and we hope that this will lead to a joint publication of all
participants, e.g., at GIScience 2012.

You can find all information and updates at
http://vocamp.org/wiki/GeoVoCampSB2012 .

As proposed on the neo-geo list, we are also looking at hosting another
event in parallel in Europe and link them via teleconferencing but this
not definitive yet.

Best,
Krzysztof/Jano

--