Potential West Coast GeoVoCamp on Linked Spatiotemporal Data and Geo-Ontologies 2012

Krzysztof Janowicz

Nov 12, 2011, 1:57:37 PM11/12/11
to neogeo-semant...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

we are planning to organize a GeoVoCamp (see
http://vocamp.org/wiki/GeoVoCampSB2012) on geo-ontology design patterns
and bottom-up semantics for geographic feature types on the micro-scale,
especially for Points of Interest, and meso-scale, e.g., land-use
classes. The GeoVoCamp would take place in Santa Barbara, California for
2 1/2 days. We would like to do this in February 2012. The last three
GeoVoCamps were very productive and took place in Washington D.C. (two times)
and in Southampton, UK.

This mail is just an informal request whether you would be
interested in participating and/or helping to organize the event.

Best,
Krzysztof

--
Krzysztof Janowicz

5806 Ellison Hall, Santa Barbara, CA 93106-4060

Email: ja...@geog.ucsb.edu
Webpage: http://geog.ucsb.edu/~jano/

Andreas Harth

Nov 13, 2011, 10:42:36 AM11/13/11
to neogeo-semant...@googlegroups.com
Hi Krzysztof,

in general I'd be interested.

Is there a chance to put the dates in a way that it's possible to
also attend related events (workshops, conferences) in the area?

California is an awfully long trip away for just attending a VoCamp.

Best regards,
Andreas.

Krzysztof Janowicz

Nov 13, 2011, 2:45:07 PM11/13/11
to neogeo-semant...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andreas,

> California is an awfully long trip away for just attending a VoCamp.

Depends a bit on where you are ;-)

> Is there a chance to put the dates in a way that it's possible to
> also attend related events (workshops, conferences) in the area?

We are planing for 3-5 February (because several people proposed this weekend)
but we could try to change the date to later in February if this would be a
good match with another event.

Best,
Krzysztof

MacPherson, Deborah

Nov 14, 2011, 9:56:30 AM11/14/11
to neogeo-semant...@googlegroups.com
Hi Krzysztof - sounds very interesting. It will depend on the final location if I can participate F2F or dial in. If it is in Europe maybe some folks from the Metadata Architectural Contents of Europe (MACE) Project can join in. For example, see Browse by Location here http://portal.mace-project.eu/

DEBORAH MACPHERSON, CSI CCS, AIA
Specifications and Research

Cannon Design
1100 Wilson Boulevard, Suite 2900
Arlington, Virginia 22209

Direct Line 703 907 2353
4 Digit Dial 6353

dmacp...@cannondesign.com
cannondesign.com

 Please consider the environment before printing this email.

boricles

Nov 24, 2011, 4:00:17 PM11/24/11
to neogeo-semant...@googlegroups.com
Hi Krzysztof, Andreas, Deborah, all

Another option is to have two parallel F2F  (one in US, and another in Europe) at the same time, and have a video conference between them. Obviously the problem is the time zone ....

Best

Boris

Dalia E Varanka

Nov 25, 2011, 12:06:18 PM11/25/11
to neogeo-semant...@googlegroups.com

Hi Jano,

I think I forgot to reply to your message.  Lynn is keen on USGS participation at the UCSB VoCamp, we are just not sure which one of us, Lynn or I or both, or Barbara Poore, whose' work is also in line with the VoCamp, will participate.

Please let us know if we can help,

Dalia

Dalia Varanka, Ph.D.
U.S. Geological Survey
Center of Excellence for Geospatial Information Science
1400 Independence Road, Room 425
Rolla, Mo 65401

Office phone. 573.308.3897
Mobile phone:  573-466-0460
Fax 573.308.3652
Email: dvar...@usgs.gov

From: Krzysztof Janowicz <jano...@uni-muenster.de>
To: <neogeo-semant...@googlegroups.com>
Date: 11/12/2011 12:57 PM
Subject:
[neogeo-semantic-web-vocabs] Potential West Coast GeoVoCamp on Linked Spatiotemporal Data and Geo-Ontologies 2012
Sent by: neogeo-semant...@googlegroups.com

Andreas Harth

Nov 25, 2011, 12:51:05 PM11/25/11
to neogeo-semant...@googlegroups.com
Hi Boris,

On 11/24/2011 10:00 PM, boricles wrote:
> Another option is to have two parallel F2F (one in US, and another in
> Europe) at the same time, and have a video conference between them.
> Obviously the problem is the time zone ....

I find the idea very interesting.

We could have coordination calls reporting on progress and open issues when
the waking hours in both places overlap and otherwise work independently.

Any more opinions? Has anybody experience with such an arrangement?

Best regards,
Andreas.

Andreas Harth

Jan 21, 2012, 12:32:09 PM1/21/12
to neogeo-semant...@googlegroups.com, ja...@geog.ucsb.edu
Hi Krzysztof, all,

On 11/24/2011 10:00 PM, boricles wrote:

> Another option is to have two parallel F2F (one in US, and another in
> Europe) at the same time, and have a video conference between them.
> Obviously the problem is the time zone ....

we finally have hashed out the details of the Madrid meeting.

It would be great if we can establish a video link between the two
locations; morning PST/evening CET could work.

I note that you have an intro round on Saturday:

9:00am - 9:30 Introduction of participants and the goals of the GeoVocamp

That's 18:00 - 18:30 in Madrid.

We could have a joint introduction round and a very brief update what
we've done on day 1 in Madrid.

What do you think?

Best regards,
Andreas.