NeoGeo Vocabs Update

Todd Pehle

Dec 18, 2009, 2:40:42 AM12/18/09
to NeoGeo Semantic Web Vocabs
Linked Locationers,

A few updates:

Thanks to Josh and Marco as we now have a 'NeoGeo Semantic Web Vocabs'
Google Site at:

http://sites.google.com/site/neogswvocs/

It's minimal, but it's a start! Let me know if you'd like to be added
as a collaborator so that you can edit and post info to the site.

On the site I've attached a high-level NeoGeoVoCamp Summary Report.
The essential summary is that NeoGeoVoCamp had a few primary goals:

1) Continue work of the W3C Geospatial XG group in 2006-2007
2) Identify and begin construction of core neogeo ontologies needed in
Linked Data
3) Investigate what Geo/Spatial SPARQL should entail
4) Build a Community to continue vocabulary development

I'm currently working on a technical report that will drill into the
details of each model developed thus far. It is my hope that it can
serve as a good starting point for our continued vocabulary
development. I will post this technical report within the next few
weeks.

I'm going to suggest we start work in early January (end-of-the-year =
busy for most) and focus on the initial three core vocabularies plus
'NeoGeo SPARQL' which we identified and began development at VoCamp.
This list includes:

1) Feature/Geometry Model (~GeoRSS + ?)
2) Spatial Relationships Model (~9-intersection + distance + ?)
3) Simple Feature Type / Points Of Interest (POI) Model
4) NeoGeo SPARQL (Marco/Taylor's GeoSPARQL? Matt Perry/Oracle's
version submitted to OGC? Somewhere in between? Other?)

I'm also going to suggest that we complete initial alpha versions of
these models no later than March timeframe. Most of these models are
at least halfway built. If we end up spending more time than this, we
are probably thinking about it too hard or are trying to "fit" too
much into a simple set of models. My main goal is to quickly get to
the fun part: linking locations! Chances are we won't get it exactly
right the first time no matter how much thought we put into it. So
let's build a few models, link a few locations and see what happens!

Feedback is welcome of course. In case I don't hear from you in the
next few weeks, Happy New Decade!

-Todd