Syntax change in Version 3.2 (deprecation of `MATCH (n)-[rs*]-() RETURN rs`)

Vasyl Bratushka

Feb 1, 2018, 6:03:09 PM2/1/18
to Neo4j
Hello,

Currently I'm working on a small Python project using Neo4j. Just found out that one of the things I want to use is deprecated.

This is an example of what I'd like to use:
MATCH ()-[a:Knows *1..2]-()-[b:Invited *1..2]-()
RETURN a
, b

As far as I understood the new versions of Neo4j will not support this syntax and the same query will look like:
MATCH p1 = ()-[:Knows *1..2]-(c)
MATCH p2 = (c)-[:Married *1..2]-()
RETURN relationships(p1) as a, relationships(p2) as b

which is more complex and less clear.

Question 1: when will the syntax in the first example be completely removed?
Question 2: is there a hope it could be removed from deprecated list?

Best regards,
Vasyl