Flint 2.7.0 Released!

Bill Hart

Dec 18, 2020, 4:12:03 AM12/18/20
to osca...@mathematik.uni-kl.de, flint-devel, sage-...@googlegroups.com, nemo-devel, Grayson, Daniel R., Michael Stillman, Brian Gladman, mpir-devel
Hi all,

It is with pleasure that we release Flint 2.7.0. available at our
GitHub [1] and Website [2]. Documentation is available at [3]. Brian
Gladman also maintains MSVC solution files at [4].

New Improvements
===============

The main improvements in this release are:

* Multivariate factorisation
* Square root and square testing for finite fields
* Square root and square testing for multivariates
* Zassenhaus factoring speedups (incl. degree pruning)
* Fast factorisation of cubic univariate polynomials
* Add context objects to fmpz_mod_poly functions
* Use BLAS for matrix multiplication over Z/nZ (small n)
* Linear solving for non-square/singular matrices (can_solve)
* Speed up factorisation over Z/nZ (for multiprecision n)

Deprecations
==========

The following are deprecated from the previous release:

n_gcd_full -> n_gcd
fmpz_poly_is_x -> fmpz_poly_is_gen
fmpz_mod_poly_is_x -> fmpz_mod_poly_is_gen
fmpq_poly_is_x -> fmpq_poly_is_gen

They will be removed shortly.

In addition, the following function has been deprecated

nmod_mat_scalar_mul_add (please use nmod_mat_scalar_addmul_ui instead).

Backwards incompatible changes
==========================

As promised, we have introduced a context object for the fmpz_mod_poly
module. All functions in this module now take an additional context
object.

Note that the fmpz_mod_mat module will get a similar update in the
not-too-distant future!

Contributors
==========

The main contributors to this release were:

* Daniel Schultz
* William Hart

Additional contributions were made by:

Matthias Koeppe, Vincent Delecroix, Tommy Hofmann, Debian User, Max
Horn, Isuru Fernando, Fredrik Johansson, Jan Engelhardt, Ivan Tsybulin
and Mahrud Sayrafi.

Once again thanks to all the very many contributors to the Flint project!

The Flint Development Team

[1] https://github.com/wbhart/flint2/releases/tag/v2.7.0
[2] https://flintlib.org/
[3] https://flintlib.org/doc