Dear colleagues of NEMISIG,
You will find below an announcement from NYU researchers Willie Payne, Tom Xi, and Pablo Ripollés Vidal regarding the upcoming season of invited talks at NYU's Music and Audio Research Lab (MARL).
They are looking for four to six speakers to present talks at the new premises of MARL in 370 Jay Street, Brooklyn.
Please write directly to Willie Payne to nominate yourself or someone you know.
Note that the deadline is quite short: next Tuesday, September 10th.
Friendly reminder - Please send us (Pablo, Tom, and Willie) recommendations for MARL Speakers by next Tuesday, the tenth, so that we can begin to make decisions and send out invitations.
Thank you to those of you who have already gotten names to us - we have a great list started.
Dear Faculty, Post-docs, and PhD students,
Tom Xi and I are running the MARL Talk series again this year, and we are stoked that new faculty member Pablo Ripollés Vidal will be joining to help us out. Below, we request your help in finding candidates to speak, and we illuminate our process going forward.
It would be a great help to us if over the next few weeks you will consider scholars in your field whose work may be of interest to the MARL community and who may be available and willing to give an hour-long MARL Talk this semester. Rather than inviting people you think of directly, please email Tom Xi (tom...@nyu.edu
), Professor Pablo Ripollés Vidal (pr...@nyu.edu
), and Willie Payne (willia...@nyu.edu
) the following information:
- Name of speaker to invite
- Email address for speaker
- General timeline for when the speaker may be visiting or if they are based in New York. We are already preparing to host two individuals (contacted last spring) in October, so those who are visiting other months this semester will take priority.
Like last semester, we are aiming for a smaller series of 4–6 talks that represent a diversity of research and experience in Music Technology:
- Once a list of speakers is compiled, Tom and I will bring that list to the doctoral cohort in PhD Symposium (approx. every other Tuesday). The doctoral group will rank the list of talks we are most excited about.
- We will send out invitations to an initial round of highly ranked speakers and cc the person who recommended each speaker.
- Depending on availability and interest, we will continue to work through the list until we have confirmed and scheduled 4–6 talks.
- We will email all of you again with the final schedule. For those who were not invited to speak or who you find out are visiting after we have solidified the Fall series, we encourage you to invite them to your own interest groups. (We intend only in rare cases to modify the MARL Talk schedule.) We are still happy to advertise through MARL Talk channels if you ask us.
Finally, as an attempt to bring in new audiences we are experimenting and plan to host most talks in Brooklyn at 370 Jay St this semester. Like always, we request that you help us advertise the talks to your students and colleagues and attend whenever possible.
Thank you for all that you do to help us run the series. Feel free to contact us if you have questions or suggestions to improve the series.
Tom, Pablo, and Willie
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "mtech-phds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to mtech-phds-gro...@nyu.edu
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/nyu.edu/d/msgid/mtech-phds-group/CAMKoRbdPNLiAPpe3hqT0YoPJnU9fa7h-3RpAqh1k_Ev1mWnrRQ%40mail.gmail.com