Maybe move SVN into http://code.google.com ?

1 view

VladD2

Feb 18, 2008, 8:18:42 AM2/18/08
to nemerle-dev
Hi, ALL.

nemerlr.org is often down...

Maybe move SVN into http://code.google.com ?

Ķaмȋļ ๏ Şκaļşκȋ

Feb 18, 2008, 9:13:51 AM2/18/08
to nemer...@googlegroups.com
Michal created the project some time ago.. but AFAIK it is not
possible to import repository history into code.google.com easily and
I think we shouldn't abandon it.
I will ask people in project hosting team in Google what are the options.

--
Kamil Skalski
http://nazgul.omega.pl

Ķaмȋļ ๏ Şκaļşκȋ

Feb 18, 2008, 9:24:31 AM2/18/08
to nemer...@googlegroups.com

Ok, I found the instructions
http://code.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=56673&topic=10386

I will do the import after the server goes up.

Dmitry Ivankov

Feb 18, 2008, 4:34:55 PM2/18/08
to nemer...@googlegroups.com
I'd prefer it to be just a mirror, at least for the beginning.
(no write users, some svnhooks/cron on nemerle.org to svnsync it)
This way we'll have backup read-accessible repository very soon.

I'm not sure that code.google.com is suitable place for main repo and for the whole project.
But it's a good place for ro-svn, some docs and binaries.
Such usage of googlecode seems to be quite legal :)

Ķaмĭļ ๏ Şκaļşκĭ

Jan 11, 2009, 2:03:17 PM1/11/09
to nemer...@googlegroups.com
2008/2/18 Dmitry Ivankov <divan...@gmail.com>:

> I'd prefer it to be just a mirror, at least for the beginning.
> (no write users, some svnhooks/cron on nemerle.org to svnsync it)
> This way we'll have backup read-accessible repository very soon.
>
> I'm not sure that code.google.com is suitable place for main repo and for
> the whole project.
> But it's a good place for ro-svn, some docs and binaries.
> Such usage of googlecode seems to be quite legal :)

I just finished setup of svn mirror on code.google.com, you can browse
revisions and source code at:
http://code.google.com/p/nemerle/source/list
Currently it is intended to be read-only and it is updated from hourly
cron job on nemerle.org.

I'm not sure if it makes sense to move main repository there (requires
replacing all checked out working copies to new address, adding
accounts, etc. and losing a nice http://nemerle.org/svn address), but
it's worth considering:
- it would be less prone to network / machine issues with our server
- it has code review feature

--
Kamil Skalski
http://kamil-skalski.pl

Dmitry Ivankov

Jan 11, 2009, 2:35:44 PM1/11/09
to nemer...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 12:03 AM, Ķaмĭļ ๏ Şκaļşκĭ <kamil....@gmail.com> wrote:
2008/2/18 Dmitry Ivankov <divan...@gmail.com>:
> I'd prefer it to be just a mirror, at least for the beginning.
> (no write users, some svnhooks/cron on nemerle.org to svnsync it)
> This way we'll have backup read-accessible repository very soon.
>
> I'm not sure that code.google.com is suitable place for main repo and for
> the whole project.
> But it's a good place for ro-svn, some docs and binaries.
> Such usage of googlecode seems to be quite legal :)

I just finished setup of svn mirror on code.google.com, you can browse
revisions and source code at:
http://code.google.com/p/nemerle/source/list
Currently it is intended to be read-only and it is updated from hourly
cron job on nemerle.org.
That's nice :)

I'm not sure if it makes sense to move main repository there (requires
replacing all checked out working copies to new address, adding
accounts, etc. and losing a nice http://nemerle.org/svn address),
Hooks will be lost too (but most can be rewritten to cron jobs I guess), also it's not possible to pick any password, only google's random generated ones (accessible via browser).

Ķaмĭļ ๏ Şκaļşκĭ

Sep 7, 2009, 3:17:04 PM9/7/09
to nemer...@googlegroups.com
It seems that moving to code.google.com for svn is a better choice
than relying on nemerle.org server being up (this hardware is getting
old and we have nobody actively looking after it).
As next steps we will try to move the remaining parts of it, which
besided svn are just wiki and mantis.