Blood Proteases

Jon Ray

Jan 5, 2016, 5:32:50 PM1/5/16
to Nematode.net User Forum
Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to best identify digestive protease genes from an assembled genome. I have an assembled genome of a nematode in spirurida and was asked to determine if they feed on blood. I have examined numerous nematodes through L4-adult in the definitive host and have never observed a red blood cell, but this is not enough support for my boss to believe me. Since we just recently sequenced and assembled the genome, I think the next logical step would be to look for blood proteases. I know this will not be 100% definitive because some blood proteases will not be characterized, but it is the next logical step in my mind. I thank you in advance for any help you can provide. I have started to download some genes for blood proteases from other nematodes and search my genome for them, but I think there has to be a better way.

John Martin

Jan 27, 2016, 2:21:58 PM1/27/16
to Nematode.net User Forum
I've asked around the lab, and unfortunately I don't have any great suggestions for you.  I think you are doing the right thing by hunting for blood proteases.  Maybe you could dig a little deeper into the literature and determine the main enzymatic pathways common to known blood feeding parasites, and then pull out the genes involved in those pathways.

John Martin