Looking for Help with Project for School

KarenKrafts

Nov 7, 2009, 3:23:03 PM11/7/09
to Needlefelters
Hi ladies -
I need your help!

The course (in Library School) that I'm taking this semester is
"Curating Digital Collections" (essentially, how to care for digital
objects so that they are accessible and usable 100+ years from now).
For our final project, we need to come up with a hobby that has
digital objects associated with it and come up with a preservation
plan for them. I, of course, chose needle felting as my hobby (what
else would I choose?). We need to come up with a list of different
types of digital objects (web sites, movies, sound tracks,
performances, texts, etc.) that are important to and for the hobby and
should be kept safe from neglect so that they are accessible and
usable in the future.

So far, I am including my collection of KarenKrafts pictures (because
I have easy access to them) and the list of websites below. However,
I thought that I should enlist your help to see if you know of any
other important websites or digital videos that should be preserved
(I'm not actually preserving them, but will be writing a mock-up plan
on how that can happen). If you have any ideas, I will of course,
give you credit in my final project. One of the digital object types
that our professor wants us to include that I'm having trouble finding
is "interactive." By this, I believe he means something like a Flash
website - does anyone know of a needle felting Flash website?

Felting Forum: http://feltingforum.com/phpbb/index.php?c=7&sid=12a58008c6aefd9bdd7fb3e50f40b9cd
Needle Felters Google Group: http://groups.google.com/group/needlefelters?hl=en&pli=1
Needlefelters.com: http://www.needlefelters.com/
Sharon Costello: http://blacksheepdesigns.com/
Birgitte Krag Hansen: http://www.feltmaking.com/
Feltalive: http://www.feltalive.com/

Any and all ideas are incredibly appreciated!
Thank you so much, and I hope that you're all doing well! (:
-karen

Anika Kanter

Nov 7, 2009, 4:09:15 PM11/7/09
to needle...@googlegroups.com
Hi Karen,
I read your message, that is a nice idea, thank you for including needlefelters.com in your list!
How about YouTube.com you will find clips there with needlefelting and Stabalot lane group on www.flickr.com as an image bank for needlefelting
Greetings,
Anika

--
Anika Kanter Movchine
Freelance Webdesigner

Stock photo's: www.istockphoto.com/earthmandala

RoseThis...@aol.com

Nov 7, 2009, 9:44:47 PM11/7/09
to needle...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Karen. That sounds like a really cool project and good to know stuff.  Would our interactive team meetings, such as in the virtual labs count?  There is supposed to be a way to record those, that I don't think has happened . . . YET.  Also, there is blogtv.com where it is a live tv with a chat session going on at the same time.  I have considered we could use that for interactive how-to sessions or something?  My sister is not a needlefelter, but she has a blogtv thing and certain regulars show up each session along with new people and stuff.  NASA or something has one, too, that I've watched the space shuttle take offs on while the crowd is chatting in a box on the side.  It's pretty cool.

Hope that helps. :)  I am interested in your finished project.  I would love to see it, if it's not too much trouble.  I have tons of digital stuff that I don't have a good plan for preserving.

Best wishes,

KarenKrafts

Nov 8, 2009, 9:19:23 AM11/8/09
to Needlefelters
Thank you Anita and Gina! Those are such great ideas! I had
completely forgotten about Stabalot Lane, and the virtual labs. Do we
still meet in the virtual labs? Youtube is a great idea, too, There
are so many tutorials up there! Also, thank you for the blogtv.com
idea - I've never even heard of it. I will absolutely check it out
and see if there is anything needle felt associated. Great idea!

As for sharing the final product, I'm happy to do so. However, don't
expect anything amazing. (: If you're interested, I can also share
our syllabus with you so that you can check out some of our readings.
They may be a bit confusing (a lot of librarian lingo in there), but
some of them are helpful... Just let me know.

Thanks again! And, if anyone else has any great ideas, I'd love to
hear them too!
-karen

On Nov 7, 9:44 pm, RoseThistleRa...@aol.com wrote:
> Hi, Karen. That sounds like a really cool project and good to know  stuff.
> Would our interactive team meetings, such as in the virtual labs  count?
> There is supposed to be a way to record those, that I don't think  has
> happened . . . YET.  Also, there is blogtv.com where it is a live tv  with a chat
> session going on at the same time.  I have considered we could  use that for
> interactive how-to sessions or something?  My sister is not a
> needlefelter, but she has a blogtv thing and certain regulars show up each  session
> along with new people and stuff.  NASA or something has one, too,  that I've
> watched the space shuttle take offs on while the crowd is chatting in  a box on
> the side.  It's pretty cool.
>
> Hope that helps. :)  I am interested in your finished project.  I  would
> love to see it, if it's not too much trouble.  I have tons of digital  stuff
> that I don't have a good plan for preserving.
>
> Best wishes,
> Gina
>
> Shops
>
> _http://RoseThistleArtworks.etsy.com_
> (http://rosethistleartworks.etsy.com/)
>
> _http://RoseThistleArtworks.artfire.com_
> (http://rosethistleartworks.artfire.com/)
>
> Gallery of Art and Ranch photos
> _http://www.flickr.com/RoseThistleArtworks_
> (http://www.flickr.com/RoseThistleArtworks)
>
> Blog of a Contemporary Needle Felt  Artist
> _http://RoseThistleArtworks.blogspot.com_
> (http://rosethistleartworks.blogspot.com/)

Kelley Zdziarski

Nov 8, 2009, 11:53:00 AM11/8/09
to needle...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

I got a custome order today to make a momma wolf and a pup but dogs are not a strong point with me and I'd rather refer her to one of you. If anyone is interested let me know. Just so you know, most of my felted items do not sell for more than $30 each so I assume this lady is looking for something in that price range. You never know though, so just let me know if your interested and I'll send her your way. ^_^

Hugs and good wishes to you all,
Elfie
http://LittleElfsToyshop.etsy.com

Cat

Nov 9, 2009, 9:55:30 AM11/9/09
to needle...@googlegroups.com
If she does not need it right away, I would be interested.

NAMASTE, CAT

"I may do foolish things, but I do them with great enthusiasm".

photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/sacredcatstudio/
Proud Member of Ohio Beaders   http://ohiobeadersshowcase.blogspot.com/
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground  each morning  the  devil says, "OH CRAP, SHE'S UP!"
Nov 9, 2009, 11:16:53 AM11/9/09
to needle...@googlegroups.com
Thank you ladies, I will send her your shops. ^_^

Best wishes,
Kelley the Little Elf (aka Elfie)